• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Reinstalling OS in laptop

carlmart

Gawd
Joined
Sep 17, 2006
Messages
691
Yesterday I spent the whole morning trying to change the HDD drive on my Asus laptop for an SSD.

On newer models Asus is not putting the Windows OEM product key on the outside, and they are not providing recovery CDs anymore. It's likely that all laptops will go the same path, so if you don't already know how to solve it, read below.

1) To start with you have to download a little program called Pordukey (or a similar one).

ProduKey - Recover lost product key (CD-Key) of Windows/MS-Office/SQL Server

When you run it on your laptop, it will show several programs installed on your laptop, Windows among them.

Write down the Product ID number, and the Product Key number. Keep it safe somewhere, if possible with the CD your laptop came with.

In my case, my Windows had been upgraded, for free, from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Home. You will have to download a copy of that very same version from Windows.

2) Then install the SSD, and check with F9 that everything is OK, with the new drive recognized and in AHCI. The BIOS will probably recognize it immediately, as it was on mine.

3) Load the installation program disc and reboot. Then order it to run from CD or DVD.

4) When it comes to Product Key number, write down the number you have.

And that's all. Things should go fine.
 
Last time I did this, I installed a new version of W10 from USB (made the drive with the MS tool). I never even had to type in a product key, it just automatically activated the software once it was back on the network. This was a Dell laptop that went from 7->8.1->10.
 
Yeah, once Windows 10 has been installed, you don't have to use the product key. Only if you are changing something like the motherboard will you need the key.
 
It was quite likely that for now that is problem with some Asus laptops, because I found several stories on the web, and they all told the same.

I once had done a recovery on the same HDD, still with Windows 8.1. But this time I wanted to install a fresh OS on an SSD.

The only instruction I had was to press F9, but that only got me to the BIOS setup. After that nothing else.

Apparently it needed the OS, which was in a hidden partition in the original HDD, which would have been Windows 8.1 probably.
 
Back
Top