Reinstalling Gateway with Operating System Disc

Kelv

Limp Gawd
I have a MX 7527 laptop with Media Center 2005. After the operating system was reinstalled, it basically gave me a crippled system. I can't connect to the internet through a ethernet cable or wireless. Under network connections, all I have is a 1394 connection which shows that its connected, and firewalled, even though I don't have anything connected at all.

Also, it has very few programs installed and when I went to the help website, it talked about Gateway utilities and there is no such thing on the computer.

Open device manager and look for any entries with yellow ! or ? at the end. Sounds like you need to install the drivers for your NIC etc.

Go to Gateway's website, get the drivers for the NIC in the laptop and put them on a USB stick or whatever to transfer them to the laptop.

It's either a Realtek, Intel, or Broadcom NIC these days, those are the big 3...

I downloaded this BCM40100.exe - Broadcom Wireless Driver Version 4.100.15.5 and even after I installed it, it didn't seem to have any effect.

Also, Function F2 doesn't seem to be able to turn on the wireless right now. It does pop open the Wireless Network Setup Wizard which allows me to set up a new wireless network though it doesn't seem like something I should have to do.

In the device manager, I get question marks for these:
Ethernet Controller
Multimedia Audio Controller
Network Controller
PCI Modem
SM Bus Controller
Video Controller

*snip*
Network Controller

It sounds like that the wireless driver didn't install at all. Have you right clicked on that device and clicked update driver and followed through the wizard that comes up (I think you have to use the "I will find the driver myself" option in the wizard)?

Just so you know, I use a Gateway laptop. If I can recall correctly, whenever I downloaded and "installed" a driver update from their support site it just extracted the driver files in a folder right under the C:\ directory (it was named CABS or something).

In trying to follow your directions, I ended up actually finding how to do it. After I extracted it, it did create a cabs folder which after it finished, it ran a program which I thought it said it was installing it, however, as I said before, nothing seemed to change and it didn't ask me to restart or anything.

I just found however a folder just in the C: That's what must have been created when I thought it was installing the driver. I installed a program in there which created a separate wireless connection function and from there I was all set since I had that program before after Bestbuy replaced the harddrive. I disabled that program so I could use the windows one since I've been using the windows one for years so I'm just used to it.

Aka: Problem Solved

Back