Reinstalling a hsf with original paste

Joined
Jan 31, 2002
Messages
621
I'm putting together a Sempron system, and the hsf went on crooked the first few times. I had to lift the heatsink off completely 5 or 6 times but I never powered up the system - ie heated up the paste. I'm assuming the paste will spread under heat, although I notice in the install instructions it says to put on more compound if reinstalling, don't know if it means a reinstall at a later date after use. Anybody have problems/no problems in a similar situation?
 
it should be ok, the main reason for reapplying the TIM is so that there are no air bubbles it it when you seat it.

If you are not OC'ing it, there will be no problem
 
The TIM that comes with the stock AMD thermal solution, right? You should be fine, as long as the TIM itself isn't damaged or altered significantly.
 
some of the paste is on the core now, but I haven't switched the machine on yet. I've got some 3 year old AS3 lying around, but I'm sure it's all separated by now. Just don't want to run into any grief later down the line.
 
Back
Top