reinstalled xp, usb drive not working

okay so i recently reinstalled xp and now my usb drive (WD1200B008-RNN) is not working. yes i installed all the usb drivers and other usb devices are working fine. device manager shows it under disk drives and claims "This device is working properly", and it is also shown under the usb controllers as "usb mass storage device".

i thought it might have somthing to do with permissions, but just now i booted up my old configuration and its the exact same thing. am i missing somthing here? any ideas would be appreciated.

right click My Computer, goto manage, then goto disk management...assign a drive letter to the drive

so simple!

but i just checked and it shows the disk as "unallocated", so i cant assign a letter. is there something else im missing or should i start a feeble data recovery effort now?

in disk management, when you right click on the device in the lower window what are the choices presented to you?

anonimousey said:
so simple!

but i just checked and it shows the disk as "unallocated", so i cant assign a letter. is there something else im missing or should i start a feeble data recovery effort now?
Assuming you had data on the drive and it was formatted, this would be the time to start your data recovery. It sounds like the drive was disconnected improperly, or had some other problem that left it corrupted.

Back