Reinstall Vista on Same Hardware = Reactivate?

sn3ak3rp1mp

Weaksauce
Hello [H] Experts!

I would like to wipe my boot drive and reinstall my copy of Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit OEM. However, I've already activated my OEM copy twice: once over the internet during the initial install, and again by telephone after having to replace the motherboard + CPU.

Since it is an OEM copy of the software, I'm worried about being "red-flagged" by Microsoft with too many reactivations. Don't know if that's possible, but I don't want to lose the ability to use my $149.99 OS either. It's frustrating that I have these concerns ... this time around I decided to "go legit" and actually PAY for Windows, and it gets me worried about being able to reinstall the OS :)

So anyway, the bottom line is I plan on reinstalling Vista on *exactly* the same hardware I'm running on right now, will I be able to reactivate over the internet or will that fail and force me to call it in?

Cheers!
sn3ak3rp1mp

i don't think it will be a problem. i would have been more worried about activating it after the mobo+cpu swap you mensioned.

You could always call them and ask them, remember to mention someting like their OS has a virus. ;)

Try the internet activation, and if that fails, call it in.

Trust me, I and many others here would have gotten "red-flagged" long before you if this was something Microsoft was doing on a regular basis.

If it is the same hardware it shouldn't have any trouble with the net activation. At least not in my experience.

You have to 'reactivate' xp x64 every time you reinstall, at least I did. Even when I didn't change hardware (a few time I did)... I just called in, told them I had to format and change a few things around. I've never had a problem with anything like that.

You will not have to call microsoft directly. There is an automated activation process after you install. Takes a few seconds and your done. I have done it many times on the same computer with no issues whatsoever.

Right, when and if I ever had to talk to someone, it was always some arab sounding guy. When they asked, if they even asked why the reinstall, I always just said format. They never questioned it.

I use imaging software, and it comes in sooooo handy in situations like this. When I installed Vista, I activated it, and then did an image of my clean install, and stored it on my other hard drive. Anytime I want to wipe the disk and reload, it can be done in a matter of minutes, and it is already activated after the restore.

My experience is that if you call the and they say that it is red flagged, they will do one of two things depending on if the guy on the other side is a dick or not. 1: they'll offer you another key, in which case it'll never prompt you for activation ever again, or they'll be a dick and tell you to go fuck yourself in a polite way.

I've had both of these scenaro's happen to me personally. I got red flagged on an XP RTM build that I was never able to get activated, and again an an XP SP2 build that they offered me a new key for, which has never once prompted me for an activation since I got it.

My experience is that if you call the and they say that it is red flagged, they will do one of two things depending on if the guy on the other side is a dick or not. 1: they'll offer you another key, in which case it'll never prompt you for activation ever again, or they'll be a dick and tell you to go fuck yourself in a polite way.

I had one of the latter when I was trying to re-install XP with an OEM key I've had for about the past 3 years. Eventually the guy on the phone relented, but he went around and around with me asking how many PCs I had it installed on, what I was doing with it, etc.

About three months later I had to re-install after removing Vista and I was able to use the automated function on the telephone option.

As soon as I did that, I ran windows update, installed office and a few other things and made an image of my OS install on my main PC. So at least until I make a major hardware change, I'll be good to go activation-wise.

Back