• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Regular SATA drive in external SATA?

00ber_m00

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 10, 2004
Messages
446
I have a P5b board with an external SATA connector. I also have an old SATA drive (an old maxtor 120gb SATA I drive). Can this drive be used with this connector?
 
Sure, thats what those external sata connectors are for on the new mobos.. You can use them to test drives, use as an external drive, etc. Just make an enclosure with power running to it, or try to find a SATA enclosure that is premade.
 
Thanks, I was hoping I would be able to just plug in the drive for a few minutes and copy some stuff off of it but I forgot about the power issue. oops!

I should add the reason I'm not just testing this myself is because both the drive and mobo are at home and I won't be home until next week.
 
Oh, a little tip if you want something cool so you don't need to make or buy an enclosure for power purposes. Just get a molex to sata power extention/adapter and run it to this:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=169

OK303_t_LRG.jpg
 
Back
Top