Registry Full? 200MB registry?

I had rebuilt my system, reformat and all, last December. It has been working fine until about a week ago when I saw this error:

"Registry full. Future requests for registry space will be denied"

I was in a hurry and dismissed it without really thinking. Now, when I went to install a tool earlier today, I discovered that it couldn't set a reg value. I'm the only user on my system. I'm not running a whole lot.
All I'm running is Windowx XP sp2 with all updates:
Symanetc Corporate edition with latest virus definitions
NvMixer
Catalyst control panel
Hotsync manager
Daemon tools
Winamp
Firefox
And a few games (HL2, CS:Source and Dawn of War)
Microsfoft office 2003 sp1

To try to fix this, I attempted to expand the registry by adding a reg value through this method:
Go to Start Menu > Run and type regedit

Find the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control

Create the following DWORD entry:
RegistrySizeLimit

and set it's value to
0xffffffff

In addition to this I also ran regclean with no avail.

After trying to expand the page file, the system crashed and I was unable to restore the system. I then proceeded to reinstall a fresh os over the former and installed all my applications accordingly. I did not reformat.
Upon examination of the registry itself, it's over 200 megs in size, when it should be 15 megs in size.
I installed within an hour of reinstalling the OS and fully updating to XP sp2 the following:
Symanetc Corporate edition with latest virus definitions
Microsfoft office 2003
firefox
NvMixer
Catalyst control panel
Winamp
Hotsync manager
And a number of lesser programs such as:
Nero
Deamon tools
Realvnc, etc.
t this point I'm going to just let the computer sit since this is not effecting performance per se, and I do not want to risk it crashing all over again until the weekend since it is incredibly important to have it online and functional until friday (midterms!).

I'm at a loss of words, Symanetc doesn't pick up anything, spybot doesn't pick up any spyware. I have found one person through google searching who has experienced the exact same issue I've had, and their solution was a complete reformat.

Any ideas?

Daskro

Back