registered ecc ram

I'm sorry if this has already been answered, i looked for the answer a lil bit but have not found one yet.

does anyone know if a athlon 64 4000+ on a gigabyte ga-k8n pro-sli will run registered ecc memory modules?

i can get some 2 gb drr-3200 reg ecc modules pretty cheap,but i would like to make sure they will run in my rig?

Thanks for the info.

Yes, they will work, but unless the motherboard supports ECC functions, don't expect to get any use out of them. Also, don't expect to see tight timings and high overclocks as a general rule.

According to this random googled article, "ECC modules can be used on either a non-parity/non-ECC system, or on a system that supports ECC." Which answers half of your question. The other part of your question is, 'will your motherboard support registered memory?' According to Mushkin, "Most motherboards don't require registered memory, and most of them won't work with registered memory." Since your motherboard chipset only "Supports un-buffered (also known as unregistered) non-ECC DIMMs", it is likely that registered memory won't work with your board.

Regardless of what kind of memory you try, don't forget to read your motherboard manual to determine the order in which you must fill your memory slots.

well, went ahead and tried it, it will work, but the only problem is that my board only supports 2 gb per channel, so i can run two of them in single channel mode, but not in dual channel. this really blows. thought i would be running 4 gigs of ram. i guess i'll have to stick to 2 gigs in dual channel.

Back