Regarding the flash ads

HHunt

Supreme [H]ardness
To begin this in the best possible way: I do not block any of the ads in the forum or front page, nor have I ever done so.
However. I'm currently on my laptop. For various practical reasons, it runs FreeBSD. There is no FreeBSD flash plugin.
With that in mind:

1) I still see a newegg banner, because they have a gif fallback. If you could hint to the other advertisers that this is a good idea, the issue of flash or not would become rather minimal.
2) Kyle, are you in a position to mention to Adobe that recompiling a FreeBSD version of their linux plugin would be a good thing? Even entirely unsupported it'd still be useful.
3) Should I feel guilty for not always being able to view the flash ads?

edit: FWIW I just bought a lifetime OT subscription. I honestly don't manage to feel very guilty. ;)

2. click, a way to get flash working on FreeBSD + kde, using a wrapper. Not really efficient, but I suppose it's your only way.

Hm, right. It was horribly unstable last time I tried, but I guess I can try again.
Which reduces the question to "how much work and instability is those ads worth". ;)

Oh, and the original issue still stands, just possibly not for me:
On some platforms, flash is not available, and on others enabling it might be a hassle. It's fairly easy to add a fallback gif image, which is a nicer solution for all parts than accusing the people who can't (or don't want to) install flash of being freeloaders.

Back