Refurbished Galaxy Note 4 Batteries Are Being Recalled for Overheating Risk

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Luckily, this appears to be no fault of Samsung’s (which would be terrible timing, as the debut of the Note 8 is next week): the US Consumer Product Safety Commission has issued a recall for batteries installed in refurbished AT&T Note 4 units due to overheating risks. The origin of the faulty batteries has not been revealed.

The scale is much smaller than last year’s issues, impacting a little over 10,000 units, and thus far no injuries or property damage has been reported. Instead, there’s only a single case of overheating resulting from the non-OEM batteries. The fact that the Note 4 has a user-replaceable battery should help the whole thing go a bit more smoothly, as well. FedEx will be mailing out a new battery identified with a green dot to users who got a replacement Note 4 as part of an AT&T insurance program between last December and this past April. The company is also mailing out a pre-paid box to send back the old battery.

"Refurbished Galaxy Note 4 Batteries Are Being Recalled for Overheating Risk"

I lol-ed at the headline thinking to myself: So much for those PR youtube videos for quality assurance.

I'm glad you started the article summary with "No fault of Samsung". Otherwise, I'm sure we'd be on page 4 already if you didn't include that small tidbit of crucial information.

Why is this no fault of samsung?
One of the theories is that the design was at fault and the battery was snuggled too close to the rest of the components, thus causing it overload/overheat.
The battery design defect certainly didn't help. The rounded edges didn't help either. When they refurbished them, i'm fairly sure they just swapped out the batteries and left the design/pcb all there.

Why is this no fault of samsung?
One of the theories is that the design was at fault and the battery was snuggled too close to the rest of the components, thus causing it overload/overheat.
The battery design defect certainly didn't help. The rounded edges didn't help either. When they refurbished them, i'm fairly sure they just swapped out the batteries and left the design/pcb all there.
RTFA

Back