Refurbish CRT or buy new?

RegisteredToPost

Limp Gawd
Ok, here is a question. I have an NEC Fe950 that needs to be refurbished. The r556 capacitor blew or something, killing the horizontal align. Would i be better off sending this to nec for refurbish, or buying a samsung 1100DF for $450 new? I understand the samsung has a shadowmask grille, which isn't as good as the NEC's aperature mask, grill(sony trinitronFD tube i beleive). I'd fix it myself, but i have little to no experience in electronics and i dont want the crash carse to be CRT computer monitor repair...

I absolutely loved how the nec looked. Super crisp. Hell, i payed nearly $500 for this thing new, and it worked for just about three years when it crapped on me. I guess there was a problem with these monitors...

What would you guys suggest in this situation? I'm erring on the side of the samsung 1100DF at the moment, just because it'd be a new unit, apposed to a refurb...

Also, i'm limited to the 1100DF as that is the only decent crt that amazon sells, and i cant place an order elsewhere, but i do have $200 that i could toss around, if refurbish would cost around this much.

Shipping a CRT around is expensive, I would just get an LCD or go to a local store near you and see if they have any refurbished CRTs.

You see, i dont want a piece of shit. If i wanted a piece of shit i would go down to the local computer shop, or walmart and get a crappy monitor. I'm aware that shipping this crt would cost, hmmm, i'd say $80. I'm fine with that.

A lot of good CRTs have been sold as refurbished. I bought a Dell Sony Trinitron P1110 and it works great. I bought it refurbished from frys. They used to also sell a refurbished 22" NEC monitor (not sure of the model).

The problem is that your FE950 is probably not worth the money you will spend to fix it. Might as well buy a new/bigger CRT.

Just checked locally near me for one of the ones that you have (the Fe950) and someone has 2 of them for 50 dollars each.

Back