Refurb the G9x or try new mouse?

Sodapopjones

[H]ard|Gawd
So I need new pads and grips for the G9x (even the textured grip is toast) I have put a ton of hours into it, but I'd also like to try something different.

I was thinking of giving this cheapo ambi CM optical a go.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826570020

Its got a similar shape to it, and I'd like to go back and try an optical.

At the same time, a G9x is like a classic Ferrari on your desk....
1974385_10201741956018209_416611488_o_zps73f739cc.jpg

I've been looking desperately for a replacement for mine also. The closest I have found is the Roccat Savu, but I haven't purchased one myself yet.

That mouse looks like a decent replacement as well, but the sale + rebate though on the CM seems to good to pass up. I got a good deal on my TK so....

My g9x bit the dust and just ordered a g500. Hope it's a good replacement.

So I need new pads and grips for the G9x (even the textured grip is toast) I have put a ton of hours into it, but I'd also like to try something different.

I was thinking of giving this cheapo ambi CM optical a go.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826570020

Its got a similar shape to it, and I'd like to go back and try an optical.

At the same time, a G9x is like a classic Ferrari on your desk....
1974385_10201741956018209_416611488_o_zps73f739cc.jpg

The G9x is already laser. Plain optical sucks compared to laser. I would contact Logitech about the pads, etc. Last time I heard of somebody doing that, Logitech sent them a new mouse.

The G9x is already laser. Plain optical sucks compared to laser. I would contact Logitech about the pads, etc. Last time I heard of somebody doing that, Logitech sent them a new mouse.

My old G9x was barely out of warranty and all I wanted to know was if they sold replacement skates, well after getting the run around from 2 customer service associates and a supervisor I basically got a "buy a new mouse" after letting them know the warranty just expired (3 months out). I was a bit surprised because I had heard about their amazing service and I wasn't demanding a replacement, just wanted some info.

Sad to say that the mouse died from the dreaded wire issue that plagues most of their mice a year later, but it was happily replaced by a Roccat Kone Pore optical.

Needless to say, I wouldn't throw optical mice under the bus without reading up on the specific mouse (like you would with any mouse regardless of sensor type). The Recon seems to be as good a mouse as any of Logitech's current offerings; from what I can tell it was originally designed by Carter (who is a CMStorm rep. that frequents a lot of forums and works with peripheral fanatics), but had some changes made going into production. I'm not sure what changes were made, but many forum junkies seem happy with it.

I've recommended the Corsair M65 to a few friends who had to say goodbye to dead or dying G9x mice. Everyone who made the switch has been very pleased. I love my M65.

My old G9x was barely out of warranty and all I wanted to know was if they sold replacement skates, well after getting the run around from 2 customer service associates and a supervisor I basically got a "buy a new mouse" after letting them know the warranty just expired (3 months out). I was a bit surprised because I had heard about their amazing service and I wasn't demanding a replacement, just wanted some info.

Sad to say that the mouse died from the dreaded wire issue that plagues most of their mice a year later, but it was happily replaced by a Roccat Kone Pore optical.

Needless to say, I wouldn't throw optical mice under the bus without reading up on the specific mouse (like you would with any mouse regardless of sensor type). The Recon seems to be as good a mouse as any of Logitech's current offerings; from what I can tell it was originally designed by Carter (who is a CMStorm rep. that frequents a lot of forums and works with peripheral fanatics), but had some changes made going into production. I'm not sure what changes were made, but many forum junkies seem happy with it.

The Kone Pure looks sleek as hell, how is the balance compared to the G9x?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Logitech-G9...133?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20e01021fd

And to the guy who said the wire failed, you can buy replacement USB g9 cable on ebay as well, you do have to pop open the mouse to install.

I know, but she needed new skates as well as the side buttons starting to feel "off" (probably ready to give, thanks MMOs...), so I thought it best to retire her as a spare after fixing the cable.

The Kone Pure looks sleek as hell, how is the balance compared to the G9x?

It's a different feel, but not bad and easy to get accustomed to with finger-tip grip. It isn't as wide as the G9x so it may cramp if you have larger hands, but it's height isn't intrusive like most gaming mice I've tried aside from the G9x (IME 3.0 styled mice). There isn't much of a lip to really rest your ring finger on, if you're accustomed to to doing it with the G9x. The mouse it's self feels like it has a very solid construction and the weight seems to balance around the sensor.

The sensor placement is more centered compared to the G9x's off-center placement. The L+R buttons are only slightly lighter, but still definitely tactile enough to know when you click; the middle mouse button is a bit stiffer, but nothing like the G9x's. The scroll wheel ratchets very solidly, but I had to disassemble the mouse and clean it because I had an issue with there being a bit too much grease and it soaking up a lot of dust making the MM-button feel weird (easy to disassemble with 4 screws under the corners of each skate). The side buttons are some of the best I've felt in a while as well as their placement fitting my grip style and hand size (slightly smaller than average for an adult male), they are pretty light, but the actuation distance and tactility is very nice.

It took about a week to acclimate to the new shape (for finger-tip use) and nearly another for it to feel natural, but there was never any discomfort in the process. Oh! The coating on the sides is very different than what I'm use to as well; it's very slick with dry hands at first, but with any sweat/oil that it soaks up it gets really grippy and still seems to feel dry.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I know, but she needed new skates as well as the side buttons starting to feel "off" (probably ready to give, thanks MMOs...), so I thought it best to retire her as a spare after fixing the cable.

It's a different feel, but not bad and easy to get accustomed to with finger-tip grip. It isn't as wide as the G9x so it may cramp if you have larger hands, but it's height isn't intrusive like most gaming mice I've tried aside from the G9x (IME 3.0 styled mice). There isn't much of a lip to really rest your ring finger on, if you're accustomed to to doing it with the G9x. The mouse it's self feels like it has a very solid construction and the weight seems to balance around the sensor.

The sensor placement is more centered compared to the G9x's off-center placement. The L+R buttons are only slightly lighter, but still definitely tactile enough to know when you click; the middle mouse button is a bit stiffer, but nothing like the G9x's. The scroll wheel ratchets very solidly, but I had to disassemble the mouse and clean it because I had an issue with there being a bit too much grease and it soaking up a lot of dust making the MM-button feel weird (easy to disassemble with 4 screws under the corners of each skate). The side buttons are some of the best I've felt in a while as well as their placement fitting my grip style and hand size (slightly smaller than average for an adult male), they are pretty light, but the actuation distance and tactility is very nice.

It took about a week to acclimate to the new shape (for finger-tip use) and nearly another for it to feel natural, but there was never any discomfort in the process. Oh! The coating on the sides is very different than what I'm use to as well; it's very slick with dry hands at first, but with any sweat/oil that it soaks up it gets really grippy and still seems to feel dry.

Hmm, I've been using the textured grip and going at it with a fingertip style, I have been playing around with claw with the mouse I use at work, another reason I was thinking about the CM Recon.

How often do you have to clean the MM button on the Kone? Or did you just have to clean it that one initial time?

Hmm, I've been using the textured grip and going at it with a fingertip style, I have been playing around with claw with the mouse I use at work, another reason I was thinking about the CM Recon.

How often do you have to clean the MM button on the Kone? Or did you just have to clean it that one initial time?

I've only cleaned it once when I found the abnormal amount of grease; having removed a large portion of it, I doubt it will be a reoccurring issue.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
ROCCAT-Kone_Pure_collection_1920x1200.jpg

Mine will be here Saturday! I like how after I post that link, they changed the stock status lol..

Back