• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Refurb card?

Benzino

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Mar 3, 2005
Messages
1,710
Taking some graduation money and am gonna upgrade my video card, which I have been waiting for over a year and a half to do. I currently have a Radeon 9200 SE, and am looking at some refurbs along the line of ATI Chipset. I saw this one at Newegg refurb, and was wondering what the [H] thought for the price.
Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro 256mb-$127.20=$1 shipping.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102515R
I could go for a higher priced refurb with the ATI chipset if the performance warrants it, but I don't want to spend more than $180 if it is a refurb. Am open to feasible ideas. I want an ATI chipset, w/ 256mb,DX 9.0, Open GL 2.0,a VGA output, DVI output, and either RCA or S-Video. If there is anything better, I am open to suggestions, but if not, I'll go with the one in this thread.
 
I see....
Well, I think I will go with the Sapphire on account of it having the 256mb memory, even if you insist it is very small. But I think what you're hinting at is to go with a card manufactured by ATI. Does the mere fact that ATI manufactures a card make it a better buy than a card manufactured by another company?
EDIT:Memorial day tomorrow, meaning bank is closed....freaking banker hours...will have to make the deposit so I can order it, but I won't be able to order until Tuesday most likely.
 
i don't think it matters whether or not it is made by ATi other than ATi has a pretty good support system i hear.

What i was really hinting at is it is better to buy a new card rather than a refurb.
 
I recommend not getting a newegg refurb. If the card dies after 15 days your screwed and I've heard (after i found out first hand) that they have a somewhat chronic problem of sending wrong items. They sent me agp card when i ordered pci-e.

I don't think that the 256mb version is not gonna help you much over the 128...except i think that version can do a bios mod to an xt. I could be wrong though. If you aren't gonna flash to an xt you are better off getting a non refurb 128mb card.

Refurbs are very risky. I would get the 128 and go with a real warranty and piece of mind. I don't think you are gonna find many people on here that will say otherwise. Maybe if you are flashing to xt but now i'm getting repeatitive...
 
Good advice. I'll take a look into those 9800 pro's that are non-refurb. I'll post later with the one I decide on.
 
Back
Top