Refund problem with Newegg

jcg624

Limp Gawd
Not sure if this is right area for this or not. If its not I apologize.

Newegg got my return on December 28, 2015. It was a laptop so the policy
states it could take seven to 10 business day. it is now twelve business
day and I still do not have my refund. Newegg keeps telling me it is
because they did not have they password to login to windows.

Has anyone had problems getting a refund from Newegg. I have been a\
customer of newegg for about 10 years. This is first time I have had to
return something. The whole process has gotten me feeling like I want
to stop doing business with them entirely.

To test a laptop do you really need to login as the user.

They shouldn't need to login as you. ANY laptop that is returned to ANY vendor should by default be wiped and restored to a factory image before reselling.

What brand of laptop was it? What OS was on it?

There should be a super simple way for them to get to a restore menu that will reimage the machine from a restore partition that is already on the laptop.

Pretty sure them logging into Windows for a returned laptop isn't part of their standard policy :eek:

Update: Just looked at their return policy, there is nothing in there about needing the customer's password or access to Windows. I would call them and just tell them they aren't getting your password and ask when they are processing your refund.

Last edited:
It was this Laptop, ASUS Laptop A555DG-EHFX Windows 10 Home 64-Bit.

Tell them to boot up the laptop, on the login screen click on the power icon, then hold down shift, then click "Restart".

On the recovery screen click "Troubleshoot", then click "Reset your PC".

Wait until done and it will be back to factory and your personal settings will be wiped.

It's a good idea to do this before returning any computer, but if they're giving you a hard time just get them to do it.

Did you reset it before sending it back? Always a good idea to send it back in the same state you received it to eliminate any excuses.

If you paid via credit card, go ahead and start a dispute with your card company. That way you can quit worrying about it as that's really the last thing you can do on your end.

If you paid via credit card, go ahead and start a dispute with your card company. That way you can quit worrying about it as that's really the last thing you can do on your end.

Don't ever do this until it is absolutely necessary. If it was a month past and they were still arguing with you then yea, but a couple days past. Not necessary.

Newegg sucks, don't use them unless you have to. Always wipe the data from any electronics before sending them back.

Talk to customer service via the phone and if they tell you they need your login tell them you wiped it clean, or it isn't needed for them to process the return.

Similar situation.

Returned an Acer laptop, 8 days AFTER they received it I never got refunded. Got in contact with a rep and he told me he sent in a request to expedite my refund. Next day I got a confirmation my return was accepted and my account will be credited.

I sent a laptop back once and got my money back within 3 days so I really have no idea why it took so long. BUT do note they extended returns for items bought in December till the end of this month and maybe they are just flooded with returns, who knows? Newegg isn't the best with CS but I haven't had a real big issue with them. Don't file a dispute, chances are newegg will close down your newegg account. What was the reason you sent it back?

Last edited:
Did you reset it before sending it back? Always a good idea to send it back in the same state you received it to eliminate any excuses.

Yep..... this.

Any time I have to return anything, I put it back in the box the way it came out of the box.
Including all of the packaging, plastic bags, twist ties on cables, etc.

Not doing so is just asking for the return to be denied or restocking fees.

Yep..... this.

Any time I have to return anything, I put it back in the box the way it came out of the box.
Including all of the packaging, plastic bags, twist ties on cables, etc.

Not doing so is just asking for the return to be denied or restocking fees.

I agree with this. Why would someone return a computer that still has their personal data on it? Reseting a PC to factory condition is usually extremely easy to do so there's really no excuse for not doing it.

I know when I buy a laptop I make sure it boots into windows, check device manager to confirm specs and verify that I can get into BIOS without password. Returning a laptop should be similar so if they can't log in and have to reimage it then I can understand it taking longer especially around holidays.

Back