• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Refs or NTFS for non raid media server

hifiaudio2

n00b
Joined
Sep 23, 2014
Messages
25
I am buying Seagate archive 8TB HDs for my media server. I am told the SMR does not play well with raid, so I am just going with either JBOD and a single drive letter or just separate drives and letters. Would ReFS help mitigate any issues at all (as in file repairing capabilities helping with a drive going bad, data loss, etc), or is there little benefit and going with NTFS for performance and / or compatibility would be a better idea?

Thanks!
 
just separate drives and letters.

Snapraid would do that well with multiple individual disks and would not cause a performance issue with SMR drives since the parity update is not real time (it is manual). Although I recommend that you use at minimum 2 parity drives so it may not be a good option unless you plan on purchasing 6+ drives.
 
Last edited:
Sounds like a good idea... and I see that it has a GUI in the form of Elucidate... any reason using that would not be recommended?

I only bought two of the 8TB drives, but could buy a third and run the Snapraid equivalent of raid 5.

I see that the "manual" parity update is just called a snapshot by the developer... is this equivalent to what most enterprise storage vendors mean by a snapshot? A point in time picture of the data as it resides? How much data (as a %) is taken up by a typical snapshot? Does it support keeping multiple snapshots, or just overwrites the most recent, etc?
 
is this equivalent to what most enterprise storage vendors mean by a snapshot?

No. Its not really that type of snapshot and you can not have more than 1 snapshot. It will create a parity file on the parity disks at least as large as the most (space) used drive in your pool. When you update the parity by a sync the parity file (located on each of your parity disks) will grow to the new maximum size. when you run a scrub it the parity file should not grow but the integrity of your data and parity files will be checked.

There also is a content file (that is a few MB). That I store on all of 6 of my data disks. This file stores the mapping between files and blocks as well as checksums for the blocks.

I see that it has a GUI in the form of Elucidate

I do not use that so I can not comment. I use SnapRAID primarily on linux and do the sync / scrub .. commands via the shell.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top