• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Refrigerator with 2 evaporators ?!?!

leSLIe

Fully [H]
Joined
Oct 18, 2004
Messages
17,701
well kinda... I´m trying to make a setup to cool the peltiers of 2 video cards (yeah SLI) so
I require 2 evaporators. I´ve made all the calculations regarding the heat dissipation and the design of the evaporators, but i have never seen a non-industrial setup with 2 evaporators, so my question is: Can just attach 2 evaporators to this setup, being a relative small compressor, without loosing performance or pressure? I dunno...
 
The general concensus that I've seen is that it's a waste of time to stick a TEC under an evaporator. Just use an evaporator. A phase change system can be done with two evaporators, and it would be easier since you are cooling two of the same heat load. That makes tuning the capillary tubes much easier. How big is your compressor?
 
if u put BIG TECs in paralel U can get temperatures below -120 Cº , that´s whack!!, I am trying to make a cryogenic refrigeration setup, that would be like having the evaporator of the 1st refrigerator to cool the condenser of the 2nd, to get temperatures below -100 Cº now that also whack!!

U see I really don´t like the capillary tubes, U have to look at the chart and check the curve a all that stuff, it´s not very "precise" I prefer a expansion valve, but it´s difficult to get one to such small (the setup I have now) power. the question is: Do I just solder two evaporators to the high pressure line? or should I use some kind of splitter ?
 
Where did you find an expansion valve with an orfice small enough for a direct die setup? I wasn't aware that they exist.
 
actually the expansion valve I built it myself, if U know a place where U can buy one, let me know.
U have to know the theory, which can be a real bitch and U need the tools, I use a needle drill, very small and hard to find. one of the perks of being a mechanic engineer!
 
leSLIe said:
actually the expansion valve I built it myself, if U know a place where U can buy one, let me know.
U have to know the theory, which can be a real bitch and U need the tools, I use a needle drill, very small and hard to find. one of the perks of being a mechanic engineer!

You can buy them from rparts.com The smallest orifice is .18 tons, which works out to 600 watts of cooling power.

How are you going to mount the evaporator on the cpu/gpu with an expansion valve? Instead of having one flexible suction line and a cap tube going to the evaporator, you will have two large lines. Seems like a pain to fit properly.
 
btw I built a heat spreader to cool the GPU and the MEM, and U can figure out that I would have a big condensation problem, but no!!! I will not have condensation, because there would be no air!!! it would be Argon (thats a gas) @ 2 atm!!! yeah it would be a closed setup!!! I will put a couple of webcams inside to check the interior of the case... but that is another story
 
bubblethumper said:
Dual evap setups exist, but are very dificult to setup properly.

check out www.xtremesystems.org for more help. It's definitely not a beginner's project.

generally a link to the specific thread is better
especially since a dual evap search is going to turn up cascades ;)

which isnt what hes asking about ;)

the answer is it greatly depends on both the capacity of the compressor, the circuit length and the amount of heat that needs to be transfered, refrigerant employed, overall design, ect.

bubblethumper if you have a link to the thread you where thinking of Id like to see it too ;)

are these evaporators in parallel or in series?
 
the evaporators would be in paraLLLLeLLLL !!!! of COURSE !!! each one for a video card
 
Argon, eh? Dunno if you're aware, argon has a pretty low thermal conductivity. That or Krypton are what two-pane windows are insulated with. Expensive to boot. Any reason for that gas in particular?

Maybe consider helium, if you're that desperate to be rid of condensation? Cheaper, cooler (k of 0.15 W/(m*K), as opposed to 0.017 for Argon*), easier to replace in the [inevitable] event that maintenance need be performed ... etcetera. Still, it seems like available methods might be more practical.

Interesting idea though.

* edit: under room temp, 1 atm. conditions.
 
Back
Top