Refrigeration unit discharge?

Willsonman

[H]ard|Gawd
So I scored this on the side of the road:
IMG_2745.jpg

I want to get the radiators for other applications but I know nothing about how to discharge teh system. I did not want to just take a hack saw to it. I do not see any valves or anything.

Time to figure out :D.

Cut a line, collect the fluid, identify it, and dispose of it properly!

Be a man. Bite one of the lines open with your mouth.

HA! no. but I did just use a hack saw to make a pin hole and let the gas hiss out for a few hours. I now have two GIANT radiators... anyone want one?Just pay shipping!

now im not one of those eco-nazis, but you are the reason we have to wear SPF 4000 sunscreen to spend an hour at the beach. (hopefuly that was R134a not R12)

now im not one of those eco-nazis, but you are the reason we have to wear SPF 4000 sunscreen to spend an hour at the beach. (hopefuly that was R134a not R12)

I don't wear sunscreen?

I've also never had a sunburn... Not even once.

:confused:

Well, I did check the manufacture date on a label and it said 2002. I was confident that it would be 134A. My old car had a leak in the A/C and I would have to fill it once or twice a summer. It smelled the same so again, pretty sure it was safe.

It may have still worked but the fan was completely shattered. The fan would have to have been replaced. I honestly did not even plug it in to check. I just assumed it was dead because of the way I found it.... just like you saw in the picture. no lid or anything.

pretty sure its safe? because it smelled similar? just because its not as toxic as another refigerant doesnt mean it should be vented into the atmosphere. its still toxic and still fucks up the planet.
epa.gov said:
Q.Can I vent HFC-134a refrigerant?
A. It is illegal under Section 608 of the Clean Air Act to knowingly vent substitute refrigerants during any service, maintenance, repair or disposal of an appliance.
i wouldnt care except i have to live on earth too. granted the few ounces you let go wont do too much on its own, but in a world of 6+ billion theres atleast a few million like yourself doing the same thing. a few hundred tons will most definately have an impact.

nope. its r22, but still don't do dhat, its when people do stupid stuff with chlorine based anything is why the cfc's are banned
gohst6304, 22 has an odp of 0.0something, r 12 has an odp of 1, while r 13b1 [odp 10] was used in fire extinguishers for like 60 years, venting up to like 600tons a year

we arent gonna get cooked anytime soon

Most likely it was R22, which is pretty much the standard for "window shakers".

I've been a HVAC Technician for almost 25 years.

one nuclear detonation eclipses all the pollution mankind has introduced into the atmosphere 10 times over.

You're wasting your time with refrigerants.

I don't wear sunscreen?

I've also never had a sunburn... Not even once.

:confused:

well you have to get "outside" to actually get a sunburn. Staying in your basement doesn´t count :D

just kidding :p

well there is no such thing as "environment friendly" refrigerants, that R134-a might not damage the ozone layer but it sure add up to the global warming problem.:(

The future in refrigeration is Thermo-Acustics !!!!

the future in refrigeration would be cfc's if it werent for all the "uneducated" people venting them, accedental vents are fine, but "accidental" refrigerant dumps are stupid and the reason we need to be protected from ourselves until ya get a 801 cirtification, then you will know how to deal with them, and also be able to buy them

best [486];1031351546 said:
the future in refrigeration would be cfc's if it werent for all the "uneducated" people venting them, accedental vents are fine, but "accidental" refrigerant dumps are stupid and the reason we need to be protected from ourselves until ya get a 801 cirtification, then you will know how to deal with them, and also be able to buy them

Hope you didn't pay much to get that "801" certification..... I had to get a "608" to be able to buy refrigerants. Of course, I didn't get a "cirtification", maybe thats the one they give to the educated people so there won't be any "accedental" vents :D

Just JK'ing with you... gotta love spell check ;) But it is 608, not 801.

well you have to get "outside" to actually get a sunburn. Staying in your basement doesn´t count :D

just kidding :p

well there is no such thing as "environment friendly" refrigerants, that R134-a might not damage the ozone layer but it sure add up to the global warming problem.:(

The future in refrigeration is Thermo-Acustics !!!!

I love the people in the ice age for releasing a ton of cfc's, and making the world as we know it now. Man, it's good to cook a planet.

oh, whoops! :rolleyes: my cirt card is in my wallet in my pants, 5 feet away, too lazy too get it:D, btw, they don't have any age limits on them, one thing the government got right!, I'm 13 and I've been certified 608 part 1 for 2 years now:D, and with all the threats about dumping 'fridgerant, less people are bound to think twice

you dont need to change the oil, just use some HC's mixed in to most other refrigerants, and it will carry the oil better

Back