• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Refresh rate.

user001

Weaksauce
Joined
Nov 20, 2005
Messages
125
I was wondering ummm what exactly does refresh rate do? I mean ummm I think I've got this monitor running at 60 hz but I can't exactly raise it becuase It's hooked up to a cheaper laptop and I don't know how to access this monitor's settings (I can only mess with the laptop's LCD monitor settings and the max is 60 hz).


I know higher is better but what exactly happens with a higher refresh rate?
 
60HZ is pretty bad for your eyes on a CRT, are you sure your laptop is not detecting the monitor at all?
 
The refresh rate is how fast the electron guns are completing an entire pass on your screen. The faster they go, the more "solid" the image. At 60Hz, especially on a white background, things will look flickery and might eventually give you eyestrain and a headache. As you approah 75Hz, things improve quite a bit. Most people find 85Hz very nice. But, best of all, at 100Hz+, you're looking at a screen that should look very "solid."

Personally, I won't use a resolution that doesn't support at least 85Hz.
 
Hurin said:
The refresh rate is how fast the electron guns are completing an entire pass on your screen. The faster they go, the more "solid" the image. At 60Hz, especially on a white background, things will look flickery and might eventually give you eyestrain and a headache. As you approah 75Hz, things improve quite a bit. Most people find 85Hz very nice. But, best of all, at 100Hz+, you're looking at a screen that should look very "solid."

Personally, I won't use a resolution that doesn't support at least 85Hz.

I can't run 85Hz in a resolution high enough to my liking without some sort of horizontal compression and anything in 100Hz is just unbearabley compressed.
 
When I first used this monitor I admit I did feel a bit dizzy afterwards.



How do I change the refresh rate?
 
Oh yeah, yeah, I just found out how.



I just got the resolution to 1920x1440.



Everything looks so small...
 
To access the other monitor's settings, you have to click that monitor in you Display Settings. There should be a box saying "1" and one saying "2"

The attached CRT is probably "2", so click on that and then click the advanced settings to change its refresh rate. Also, this does not work for cloned display, where both monitors display the same thing, same resolution, and same refresh rate.

I can still notice flicker even at 75 Hz (depends on user), so I really have to run my CRTs at 85-100 Hz each. Of course, my video card cries in pain at having to power one of my CRTs. ;)

Unless you have reallllly good eyes, I wouldn't recommend using higher than 1600x1200 on anything smaller than 20 inches.
 
Refresh rate makes a ton of difference on CRTs, no difference on LCDs. I can't use a CRT at less than 85hz without a headache... then again, since I have been in LCD world for the past few years, I can hardly use a CRT for a computer monitor at all.

LCDs are cheap man, either get a CRT or video output that will give you a decent image, or buy an LCD.
 
How big is your monitor?

If it's not at least 21" you are just torturing your eyes with those resolutions.


user001 said:
Oh yeah, yeah, I just found out how.



I just got the resolution to 1920x1440.



Everything looks so small...
 
This monitor actually has a viewable area of 20" (NEC MultiSync FP1350 22").


It also has 1600x1200 at 85 hz.


I brought it down to 1280x1024 though and everything looks super sharp.


Just brought up the refresh rate to 85 hz too.
 
Your monitor is 4:3 and you are running a 5:4 resolution, basically you are stretching things horizontally to fill the screen, which could cause geometry and color problems. I'd suggest going back to 1600x1200
 
...or go to 1280x960.

I have a 20" crt (P1130) and I prefer 1280x960 (at 120 hz) to 1600x1200 (at 100 hz).

diapickle is correct that 1280x1024 is not a proper 4:3 res.
 
Back
Top