Refresh Rate and GPU Clock Speed

pandora's box

Supreme [H]ardness
Is anyone else having issues where high refresh rates force the GPU to 3D clock speeds? If I select 144hz or 165hz on my 1440P display my GPU ramps up to 1500~Mhz. If I drop down to 120hz the gpu downclocks to 2D speeds. This bug came up a few years back. Seems nvidia can not stop breaking this. Running 378.92 drivers

Qpvm9c7.png

yB5na82.png

Last edited:
This has been an issue since 1440p 144hz displays came out the solution to it is set the desktop to 120hz then in 3D settings set preferred refresh rate to maximum supported which would be the max of your display. That way it would use 120hz on desktop and 144hz+ in games.

They have supposedly fixed it at least half a dozen times, now. I just do what Lmah2x says above. I have not yet run across a game that doesn't properly set 144 Hz with the desktop at 120 Hz and Prefer maximum refresh rate set in the NVCP.

I have not yet run across a game that doesn't properly set 144 Hz with the desktop at 120 Hz and Prefer maximum refresh rate set in the NVCP.

Doom is one game that will only hit 120fps if the desktop is set to 120Hz. Not like it's a big difference, but if you want to hit 144/165 fps in Doom make sure to set the max refresh in control panel.

Doom is one game that will only hit 120fps if the desktop is set to 120Hz. Not like it's a big difference, but if you want to hit 144/165 fps in Doom make sure to set the max refresh in control panel.
I think that only happens with OpenGL. I believe Vulkan respects the driver setting. But I always have Fast Sync enabled with G-Sync, so maybe I just didn't notice and never bothered to check. I haven't played the game in half a year.

Back