Reformatting Vista/ proggies on diff partician

Glow

Supreme [H]ardness
Okay so I've never done this before so I'm curious. I have all my programs installed on my other partician so when I reinstall windows what do I have to do so they work properly is there an easy fix to this?

I can't honestly see a reason to keep them separate, especially when you can easily ghost the drive if you really don't want to reinstall. Anyway, the only trick is to install the OS as normal. You won't know which programs work or not until you go to try them. But honestly, in the time it takes to do that, recopy and create shortcuts, test the apps, reinstall ones that aren't working....are you really saving any time? Add in the fact that many apps probably have updated versions. If it was my system, I'd keep it all together, but that's just me. I think you'll find that you'll spend as much or more time doing it this way, than just reinatlling them.

I can't honestly see a reason to keep them separate, especially when you can easily ghost the drive if you really don't want to reinstall. Anyway, the only trick is to install the OS as normal. You won't know which programs work or not until you go to try them. But honestly, in the time it takes to do that, recopy and create shortcuts, test the apps, reinstall ones that aren't working....are you really saving any time? Add in the fact that many apps probably have updated versions. If it was my system, I'd keep it all together, but that's just me. I think you'll find that you'll spend as much or more time doing it this way, than just reinatlling them.

Hey I dunno this is advice I got on here, would it basically just be dragging over their shortcuts. The software/games I am running are up to date.

You could get issues because some programs install keys into the registry. Trying to run a game without that would cause problems.

I personally don't know of a quick way to be able to have everything up and running--I'm not sure if you'd be able to just back up and restore your registry after installing; it's not something I'd mess around with myself.

It's probably easier just to install things over, but that's me.

well this sucks since it seems like it saves a lot of time, if it did work. But I figured if Windows crashed then to reinstall they'd work arg.. Oh well. How do I save COD 4 files so I won't lose everything rank/ guns anyone know?

well this sucks since it seems like it saves a lot of time, if it did work. But I figured if Windows crashed then to reinstall they'd work arg.. Oh well. How do I save COD 4 files so I won't lose everything rank/ guns anyone know?

Do you mean, like, profile data--as in a game save? I'm guessing you could find your saves in your Documents and Settings profile folder. Or maybe it's in the actual installation directory. It varies by game, just dig around. Either way, save those and then paste them back in the appropriate directory after you have installed again.

Back