Reformatting trouble

cobramonkey

2[H]4U
Joined
Apr 16, 2007
Messages
2,595
Ok, so here's the problem. I reformatted my desktop today. Went fine, when I got through, loading stuff up, and I try to play an audio file in iTunes. Before the program loads, it pops up saying, "iTunes has detected a problem with your audio configuration. Audio/Video playback may not operate properly." Then I look down at the volume icon on the start bar, and it has an x through it, and cursing over it, it says, "The Audio service is not running." Well, I right click on it, and there are no playback devices listed. I figure it is a driver issue. Install the sound driver off the driver disc from Dell. Reboot. Nothing changes. Download drivers off dell's website, reboot, nothing again. And now, several hours later, I am still in the same place. I have vista, and an integrated sound card, Sigma Tel High Definiton Audio CODEC. Under device manager, the status of the device is "The device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device."
 
you sure you're loading compatible drivers for your current os? i know that probably sounds retarded, but always start at the beginning when troubleshooting.
 
Dell, iTunes...not really [H]ard stuff. Not sure I know how to fix those beyond telling you to call support.

Make sure you installed the right chipset drivers too, since it's onboard stuff. Also sometimes the "normal" sound drivers and the Vista drivers are two different things. Different again if you're using the 64-bit version.

Also...Windows Update?
 
Back
Top