Reformating C:drive

lilbstrd

n00b
I have an old laptop with 64MB memory and a 12GB hard drive. I was playing around with Ubuntu for a while but now I want to install Windows 2000 Pro. (Installing from the CD)The problem is when it comes time to reformat, the partiton stops at 66 percent and will not go any further. Is this a bad hard drive issue? It originally had Win ME and then XP(although slow) on the drive before Linux. Thanks

Edit: Win XP will format the drive, but no other operating system will ??

That may be because of the Linux partition. If you have a 9X boot floppy then fdisk should be able to delete it using the non dos partition option. Delpart probably can to. If you have formated it using the XP CD you should be able to install 2k too it now.

Ok here's what ya do.

Get a Win98SE boot floppy. If ya can't get one, download the image/.exe from bootdisk.com.

Then find a copy of/download maxllf.exe. And put this on the 98SE floppy.

This will completely low-level the drive cleaning it.

Then try redoing your format and install.

Good luck!

Fdisk won't remove Linux partitions. I use gdisk for this, that comees with Ghost, but there are others available for free. Just stick it on a boot floppy as others have mentioned and clear the drive first.

djnes said:
Fdisk won't remove DOS partitions.QUOTE]

Yes it does.

FDisk on startup displays options:

3. "Delete Partition or Logical DOS Drive."

After choosing Option three you are greeted with 4 more options.

1. Delete Primary DOS Partition.
2. Delete Extended DOS Partition
3. Delete Logical DOS Drive(s) in the Extended DOS Partition.
4. Delete non-DOS Partition.

FDisk will delete a DOS partition. You just don't know how to use it that's all.

Oldwolf said:
djnes said:
Fdisk won't remove DOS partitions.QUOTE]

Yes it does.

FDisk on startup displays options:

3. "Delete Partition or Logical DOS Drive."

After choosing Option three you are greeted with 4 more options.

1. Delete Primary DOS Partition.
2. Delete Extended DOS Partition
3. Delete Logical DOS Drive(s) in the Extended DOS Partition.
4. Delete non-DOS Partition.

FDisk will delete a DOS partition. You just don't know how to use it that's all.
I updated my previous quote with what I meant to say. I meant to say non-DOS as in Linux partitions. However, instead of telling me I don't know how to use fdisk, you could have read above to the OP's first post, saying he had Ubuntu installed.

windows-2000 comes with a partition program as part of the install process
when hte relevant screen apears and you ente rht ePartition program just delete all partitions and create a new one

the install will continue then

Back