John Stamos
Gawd
- Joined
- Sep 14, 2009
- Messages
- 1,012
Ok so I recently purchased a Q9550 processor from newegg. I am upgrading from an e6600 @ 3.0ghz. After a pain in the a$$ installation because I forgot to update my bios on my Asus P5B Deluxe board I finally got things working. I recently refitted my case..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811144077
..with some heavy air flow because my last set up left a bad taste in my mouth with temperatures. The tower is a mid-sized and I realize I could definitely use a full, but unfortunately I am not in a position to upgrade that atm. I have fitted the case with..
2x Thermaltake A1280 120mm Case Fan
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999113
and
4x Mechatronics Ultra High Speed 80 x 25mm Fan
http://www.coolerguys.com/840556034001.html
To answer your question, it's very loud.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/42349972@N02/3952297348/
As you see in the incredibly detailed picture above, I have one of the 120mm fans blowing through the heatsink (as opposed to pulling) directly to the next 120mm which fires it right out of the rear...bad analogy. I was hoping this method would work better than pulling the air off the heatsink as most people do. (Criticism on that would be appreciated)
I've applied some Arctic SIlver MX-2 to the CPU with a Thermalright 120-Extreme..
http://www.coolerguys.com/840556069577.html
..and I am currently idling at 53c on my highest core. My room temperature is unfortunately a bit higher than most (80f) but that's the downfall of central air + a hot computer I suppose. On load I reach temps of 64c. While I know these aren't extraordinarily high, I was hoping for the amount of cooling that I have invested in I would have had better results. When I overclocked the Q9550 to 3.0ghz (only 200mhz higher) the CPU jumped to 60c idle and I didn't even bother to test the load temps because I was concerned at the drastic increase.
On the front of the case I have cut holes where the grill is on the front, (the grill still remains but behind it is open space) to provide better airflow as I have 2 80mm's blowing in the case, I also have 1 window fan blowing in as well (also an 80mm).
http://www.flickr.com/photos/42349972@N02/3952297408/
(pictures of the 80mm fan layout from the front perspective)
I have the aforementioned 120mm venting out the back with assistance from the CPU fan (120mm) blowing in the general direction and on the top of the case I have another 80mm venting towards the ceiling. Cable management is insanely tough with this tower but I have tried to the best of my ability to make adequate space for air flow.
Like I said I was hoping these temperatures would be better as I really wished to OC this Q9550 at minimum to my old e6600 speeds when I was at 3.0ghz. I know on air the Q9550 can run 3.4ghz + and I really wouldn't be looking to go much higher than that if possible. If anyone can help me with this situation (if it's even possible given the circumstances) I would greatly appreciate it and if you need any more pics or my professional paint diagrams I'd be happy to provide them.
Thank you!
edit: I forgot to add I'm using a Q9550 C1 revision.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811144077
..with some heavy air flow because my last set up left a bad taste in my mouth with temperatures. The tower is a mid-sized and I realize I could definitely use a full, but unfortunately I am not in a position to upgrade that atm. I have fitted the case with..
2x Thermaltake A1280 120mm Case Fan
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999113
and
4x Mechatronics Ultra High Speed 80 x 25mm Fan
http://www.coolerguys.com/840556034001.html
To answer your question, it's very loud.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/42349972@N02/3952297348/
As you see in the incredibly detailed picture above, I have one of the 120mm fans blowing through the heatsink (as opposed to pulling) directly to the next 120mm which fires it right out of the rear...bad analogy. I was hoping this method would work better than pulling the air off the heatsink as most people do. (Criticism on that would be appreciated)
I've applied some Arctic SIlver MX-2 to the CPU with a Thermalright 120-Extreme..
http://www.coolerguys.com/840556069577.html
..and I am currently idling at 53c on my highest core. My room temperature is unfortunately a bit higher than most (80f) but that's the downfall of central air + a hot computer I suppose. On load I reach temps of 64c. While I know these aren't extraordinarily high, I was hoping for the amount of cooling that I have invested in I would have had better results. When I overclocked the Q9550 to 3.0ghz (only 200mhz higher) the CPU jumped to 60c idle and I didn't even bother to test the load temps because I was concerned at the drastic increase.
On the front of the case I have cut holes where the grill is on the front, (the grill still remains but behind it is open space) to provide better airflow as I have 2 80mm's blowing in the case, I also have 1 window fan blowing in as well (also an 80mm).
http://www.flickr.com/photos/42349972@N02/3952297408/
(pictures of the 80mm fan layout from the front perspective)
I have the aforementioned 120mm venting out the back with assistance from the CPU fan (120mm) blowing in the general direction and on the top of the case I have another 80mm venting towards the ceiling. Cable management is insanely tough with this tower but I have tried to the best of my ability to make adequate space for air flow.
Like I said I was hoping these temperatures would be better as I really wished to OC this Q9550 at minimum to my old e6600 speeds when I was at 3.0ghz. I know on air the Q9550 can run 3.4ghz + and I really wouldn't be looking to go much higher than that if possible. If anyone can help me with this situation (if it's even possible given the circumstances) I would greatly appreciate it and if you need any more pics or my professional paint diagrams I'd be happy to provide them.
Thank you!
edit: I forgot to add I'm using a Q9550 C1 revision.