• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Reference RX 480 + Kraken G10 Build Guide

cageymaru

Fully [H]
2FA
Joined
Apr 10, 2003
Messages
23,532
Reddit thread.

A Kraken G10 is less than $25 on Amazon so I consider this to be a cheap mod for someone with a spare generic AIO water cooling combo sitting around gathering dust. I would have flipped the fan around and wire tied it to the mounting bracket to cool the VRM. Also notice how the AMD reference design hasn't changed in ages. ;) He's hitting 55c in Furmark.

Imgur image library of how to do it step by step.

MSI RX 480 + Kraken G10 Build Guide


Is it necessary? No. But it sure is fun to do!
 
Last edited:
totally worth it! my h60 red-modded 280x tops out at 60c under stress testing and 55ish in games. 15-20c cooler than stock.
 
me?! my msi 280x has a full front plate and a little heatsink for the vrm so I used a few zip ties to make a sling around the plate for a 80mm fan to cool the vrm and plate. while gaming, its mid 40Cs to low 50Cs usually and depending on the game. the hottest ive ever seen the vrm get was under stress testing and it was 60ish, basically its almost always at the same temp as the core when under stress testing. gaming it is usually a few degrees cooler.

WP_20160829_002.png
 
I also did this to my 7970 and R9 280X. Big difference in temps. Was fun too.

Oh yeah. Sadly tho I might have to RMA my 390 as I'm getting black screens during gaming. Hopefully I'll get a replacement that will do better. Already have the G10 bracket, now to shop for a killer deal on an HXX AIO :)
 
Last edited:
totally worth it! my h60 red-modded 280x tops out at 60c under stress testing and 55ish in games. 15-20c cooler than stock.

I thought it should be doing much better? As my OC'd Gigabyte WF3 used to range between 60C and 62C while gaming after extended periods of gaming.. and that isn't any special cooler I only had to use a better TIM and lap a bit the cooler because it came pretty rugged with lot of imperfections. I miss that card was a funny card..
 
idk... those are my summer time temps though, room temp varies from 25-30C(no AC). my card used to run regularly at 70+ even after a tim change. I think maybe one of the fans was not working right. it wasn't noisy and worked but didn't seem to spin as freely/easily as the other. I'm also using a refurb'd h60. the card was out of warranty and I had the h60 so I thought why not!? I could probably get better temps with a better fan too. and my voltage is regularly @1.288v. anyway, I'm sure others have gotten better results/temps but Im happy with mine, it was fun and it gets me better OCs.

I was playing BF1 beta last night and it was pretty warm here, room temp was 26-27 and it topped out at 56C.
 
Back
Top