Reference 290 Fan Profiles/Curves

a3venom

Gawd
All the people who own this card,
do you set custom fan profiles, and do they make a measurable difference?

Post your custom fan curves/profiles here.

For me running the fan at any speed that made an appreciable difference resulted in a leaf blower inside my case. Kraken G10 bracket + corsair h55 fixed that right up though.

man, I hate the reference 290's default fan algorithm. I actually either flash a Powercolor PCS+ bios to any reference 290 (this unlocks manual fan control in CC control panel) or just use MSI after burner for fan control.

I'm a fan of Arctic Cooling's Xtreme series of video card coolers, they're huge and take up 3 slots but they're very quiet and cool the card well.

I messed around with them originally when I had the reference cooler on my 290. The sound at any speed was just too much though. It's going to throttle too much if you try and keep the sound level down, as opposed to cranking the fan speed when it gets too hot.

I also went with the latest Arctic Cooling Xtreme cooler, and never looked back. It's not bad at all at 100% fan speed (not close to anything on the level of the reference cooler). I ramp it up to 100% if the core hits 60c

I was just curious If it improves performance in any way by changing fan profiles.
I agree above 60% is a hair dryer so ill leave it alone.
the arctic cooler costs more than half of my cards cost so I'll probably leave it alone

I do, and yes, but I game with headphones (Plus I'm 9 feet away from my computer), so the noise didn't bother me.

I set it to keep the temperature around 75-80 tops. Starting at 50 Degrees : 50%, at 85 degrees it's at 100%.

Also, I removed the back retaining bracket, the airflow OUT of the card is much better, and the fan runs at a lower speed to keep the card cool, I used a zip tie to hold it into the case(this really helps :p)

Also, I removed the back retaining bracket, the airflow OUT of the card is much better, and the fan runs at a lower speed to keep the card cool, I used a zip tie to hold it into the case(this really helps :p)

Interesting! Can you snap a pic of this? :)

Back