Reengineering the Windows Boot Experience

it really isn't that hard to adjust, and you can't take what is essentially a prebeta and say that the final won't have a way to make it more traditional.

I agree...it is not even in Beta yet. I'm sure there will be a nice desktop and touch features...

Tap this, tap that, touch this. Go to hell. Looks stupid, plus I enjoy seeing my my bios post. I always disable logo on boot. "We wouldn't want a user to have to buy a keyboard..." Go to hell all over again. No thanks. Yeah I'm feeling cynical today but I still am very annoyed by this video.

Too bad she neglected to tell everyone that the new UEFI can be used to prevent people from installing a non Windows OS. You know, like Linux.

It is of course the option of the motherboard or PC manufacturer. By option, I mean Microsoft is going to enforce, and PC manufacturers won't have a problem with it. After all, you void your warranty by deleting that 10 gig partition that PC manufacturers leave for when you need to reinstall the OS. How do you think they feel about installing a non Windows OS?

By option, I mean Microsoft is going to enforce, and PC manufacturers won't have a problem with it. After all, you void your warranty by deleting that 10 gig partition that PC manufacturers leave for when you need to reinstall the OS. How do you think they feel about installing a non Windows OS?

Microsoft and the government have already been through all of this and no, Microsoft isn't going to give a rats ass about it. Linux on x86 machines just doesn't pose a problem for Microsoft. Now on ARM devices where UEFI is required it might be different but those devices will have much more integration between the OS and hardware and if people want to root or jailbreak or whatever the process will be called on Windows that's been ruled legal.

Tap this, tap that, touch this. Go to hell. Looks stupid, plus I enjoy seeing my my bios post. I always disable logo on boot. "We wouldn't want a user to have to buy a keyboard..." Go to hell all over again. No thanks. Yeah I'm feeling cynical today but I still am very annoyed by this video.

Left click this, left click that, right click this. Go to hell?

When I installed Windows 8 on my EP121 I had my keyboard and mouse ready to go and to my pleasant surprise the installer from the very beginning was fully touch AND pen aware, installed Windows entirely via touch, didn't need anything else.

People are just going to have to get over it, tablets are here to stay and are going to be a FAST growing base for Windows users.

I don't think we'll be leaning back in the chair pushing buttons on a monitor out of arm's reach anytime soon. For those of you with 4, 6, or 8 monitors just think about that for a second, it's silly.

For a mobile device, and even for some computers with one screen, not having to have a keyboard at all is a nice feature to have. I know there's a lot of reasons why you'd believe your illusion of choice and freedom are quickly fading, but it's really outside of the scope of this video.

This is good innovation by Microsoft. Like any other technology it has the potential for abuse.

I hate it.

On my brand new laptop it takes nearly 2 minutes to load the boot menu, then another 3 minutes to boot into another OS like Windows 7. Way slower than the good old text menu.

I hate it.

On my brand new laptop it takes nearly 2 minutes to load the boot menu, then another 3 minutes to boot into another OS like Windows 7. Way slower than the good old text menu.

Hmmm, well this is just a developer preview but that's simply not what most people are experiencing.

nothing special. more functions to confuse users. and they should use a "tree" like menu. i hate it when you tab and tab into sub options and get confused as to where you are at. That being said, this is why mac os explorer rocks. (well...thats about it really for mac..)

What's all the craze about touchscreen lol. It's like the fail 3D back from the 80's.
Touchscreen belongs in restaurants and cellphones. Touching your screen LOL
retardation inc

While all of this is nice and whatnot, all I really want is a way, in the final release, to return to the classic start menu and desktop. No registry hack, just a toggle switch in the control panel.

After playing with the Metro-esque UI for a week, I still prefer a old-skool windowed UI when I'm using a mouse and keyboard. I'm sure the new interface is fantastic on touch-enabled systems but make it an option.

Just make it faster...

It is faster than windows 7. I used it for a few days and windows 8 is faster than windows 8 (in classic windows form)

What's all the craze about touchscreen lol. It's like the fail 3D back from the 80's.
Touchscreen belongs in restaurants and cellphones. Touching your screen LOL
retardation inc
I have a Samsung Galaxy mini and love the touch screen until it comes to typing messages. I have been using touch screen phones with 9 months and I still cant get used to typing messages with it. I hope that phone companies never phase out the phones with buttons on them.

Would it not be more user friendly to go into a safe mode to go after a bad driver vs from a command prompt?

Think that demo would scare people off to the ipad.

Or Apple making something about not having bad drivers to worry about.

I hope that phone companies never phase out the phones with buttons on them.

I thought this too, but I quickly got used to a virtual keyboard and haven't wished for buttons in quite some time now.

An interesting tidbit about the new boot menu is it actually loads the Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver drivers, so you can select which os to boot using your mce remote control.

Back