• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Redundant question. 2.4c vs 2500Barton

eddie500

Gawd
Joined
Jan 23, 2003
Messages
1,009
I know this was probably asked a thousand times but nevertheless can't find old posts.

Should I get a 2.4c pentium4

or a barton 2500 (assume I will get a locked processor).


What will be better (faster) for gaming. Say I will overclock each to a resonable level.


Try to give differences in percent, ie. a 2.4c is 30% faster then a 2500+ AMD.
 
ok, as I do not have mucho experience with the p4, I'll still try to give you a little info.
Ok, the p4 2.4 and 2.6 have been known to overclock well. Look for threads for how high people have gotten them... Same with the barton. Now just because the 2500+ is locked on the multiplier doesnt mean you can not overclock. It just limits the ways you can to front side bus speed changes. Considering some (mine, at least, tho I think more likely than not) bartons can do 11x200 out of the box, that aint too bad. Also, to add a wrinkle, there is the Mobile 2500+ barton... that is not multiplier locked and runs on lower voltage - but is basically the SAME cpu as a standard barton (as amd connected a certain bridge that makes it a "Mobile cpu" is left unconnected on the standard barton... if memory serves correct.)
It all boils down to this, what you want to spend? Are you going to do a SERIOUS overclock (water cooling, overvoltage) or mild (air cooled)?
If you are spending high end $$$ I think the p4 2.4 or 2.6 has an edge. If you are mild oc with out much dough then go amd.
But I think that performance wise - say a 3.2 ghz overclock intel vs. a 3200+ speed rating performing overclock amd, the intel will out perform on most games in the 5% range - everything else equal.
In otherwords a performance difference that might not be noticable...
 
I love my 2.4c, infact I just bought a second one, and I'm installing it now. I also have a 2200+, and I must say i like intel better.
 
your average 2500M is hitting 2.7ghz and or higher...ive ordered one friday but i highly doubt ill get anything above 2.5ghz due my suck ass luck LOL
but for $95 shipped and a stock of 1.25 vcore you have plenty of headroom provided everything else in your rig will match it
 
I say get the 2.4C....i own a 2.4C box...and i recently built a computer for a friend with the 2500+....i still found my 2.4C faster even with all of the clutter and programs running on it.....the 2500+ was fresh off a OS install

both had similar components


i say get the 2.4C

but the 2500+ is an awesome chip to get if you wanna save some money....you just can OC them as well since the multiplier is locked
 
Originally posted by BigGreg85
but the 2500+ is an awesome chip to get if you wanna save some money....you just can OC them as well since the multiplier is locked


thats why you get a 2500+ mobile...they are not locked and they will OC Like fuckin nuts man !
 
I wish I found out about the mobiles before I got my barton, 2.3ghz is not enough!!!
 
Being one that has dealt with AMD and Intel processors (of which I currently run a 2.4c), I'd say go for the P4 2.4c if you are running Windows XP. The hyperthreading technology is very convenient for running multiple programs without any sort of slowdown.

If price is your major concern, then go for the Barton cored 2500.

You can't just ask "Which one will be faster?" because that's a very generic question. The answer to it lies in a far deeper level than simply the CPU. Depends on the rest of the components as well.

Dark Assassin
 
It seems that the barton 2500 sucks compared to pentium 2.4c,

But Here is a response for the barton3200 on newegg.com

"Well for those that have the xp2500 overclocked it sucks in games, I think this is due to games hogging so much cpu power when overclocked it cant hang. Just get a fast cpu and ram and stop wasting ur money on overclocking and cooling products and put it to a good cpu."

So if I get a barton2500+ and overclock it to 400FSB, 3200speed does that mean its exactly the same speed as a real barton3200?
Why is this person saying that overclocking it sucks? What am I missing here?


Also look at this review.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030513/index.html

The pentium4 800FSB kicks the barton's ass.

Say a barton2500 overlockes to barton3200 speed, and a pentium4 2.4c overclocks to 3.0-3.2 speeds, your gonig to kick major ass with the pentium4.

The only reason I hesitate on buying an intel 2.4c is I actually already bought a 2.4c, abit max3 motherboard, and 1gig of mushkin level2 ram and it didn't work.. I sent it all back.

My current athlon 1600xp has been running for over 2 years now with no problems.
 
If you can afford the P4 ... then go for it ... it will be faster than the AMD after overclock ...
 
Originally posted by eddie500
It seems that the barton 2500 sucks compared to pentium 2.4c,

But Here is a response for the barton3200 on newegg.com

"Well for those that have the xp2500 overclocked it sucks in games, I think this is due to games hogging so much cpu power when overclocked it cant hang. Just get a fast cpu and ram and stop wasting ur money on overclocking and cooling products and put it to a good cpu."

So if I get a barton2500+ and overclock it to 400FSB, 3200speed does that mean its exactly the same speed as a real barton3200?
Why is this person saying that overclocking it sucks? What am I missing here?


Also look at this review.


http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030513/index.html

The pentium4 800FSB kicks the barton's ass.

Say a barton2500 overlockes to barton3200 speed, and a pentium4 2.4c overclocks to 3.0-3.2 speeds, your gonig to kick major ass with the pentium4.

The only reason I hesitate on buying an intel 2.4c is I actually already bought a 2.4c, abit max3 motherboard, and 1gig of mushkin level2 ram and it didn't work.. I sent it all back.

My current athlon 1600xp has been running for over 2 years now with no problems.

This person is retarted. I have an AthlonXP2500+@2.2GHz 400FSB
The benches are the same as a 3200+. The reason this person is bashing overclocking is because either he is stupid or oblivious. "Ignorance is strength" is only an IngSoc policy, not one for use in real life.

Also, is there a thread listing 2500+M overclocks? I would be willing to make a table if I was able to get the info.
 
So if I get a barton2500+ and overclock it to 400FSB, 3200speed does that mean its exactly the same speed as a real barton3200?

Yes it will be exactly equal.
 
I don't understand why everyone thinks the p4 is much more money. I mean we are talking just 80bucks here more for the CPU then the barton2500 XP.

Why does everyone think the p4 is so much money, I mean memory and motherboard cost about the same for both.
 
Even thou I have like 3 2500+ bartons oc to 3200+ the 2.4C is pretty good because of HT. But my 3200+ seems to be faster than me 2.6C dell at work.
 
Originally posted by eddie500
I don't understand why everyone thinks the p4 is much more money. I mean we are talking just 80bucks here more for the CPU then the barton2500 XP.

Why does everyone think the p4 is so much money, I mean memory and motherboard cost about the same for both.

for a lot of people $80.00 is a good amount of money ... also if you're OCing ... you'll need memory faster than PC3200 w/c adds up to the price ...
 
Originally posted by primea
for a lot of people $80.00 is a good amount of money ... also if you're OCing ... you'll need memory faster than PC3200 w/c adds up to the price ...

the difference in price for the memory is close to nothing....my PC3500 was actually cheaper than the PC3200 at the time i bought it.

and my OC is respectable
 
i own both 2500 barton and a 2.4c, i love amd, but prefer the p4c. its a little more expensive, but the ht its just great.

btoh of them are great overclockers. either way you should be fine.

i usually have like a trillion windows open at the same time, and the p4 just work them better.

i guess its a matter of money. both of them are great choices
 
Uh, hello the P4 has a locked multiplier as well so I don't think it's fair to say "the AXP2500+ wont o/c much because of the multiplier lock"... they just don't o/c as much because the thoroughbred core wasn't designed for the higher speeds that the newer P4 cores are.

If money is no object I'd say go for the P4, intel chipsets are far better than anything VIA or nVidia have put out. Even though I'm happy with my current AMD system, I think the newer P4's have a lot to offer for the money.

I also can't justify a system built for overclocking if you're spending as much money on the cooling supplies as you would've spent on a faster CPU.
 
I have both the XP2500 and the 2.4C. Hands down the 2.4 is the better performer. Please don't get me wrong, the XP2500 oc'ed to 3200 is a little rocket. Matched up with solid ram and a Raptor, it's a hella nice gaming rig.
 
Get a mobile barton 2500 (unlocked, lower voltage requirements) and overclock it to 2.6 or more.

Cheaper, better for gaming (massive fpu, 3 operations per clock vs 1). I have had zero trouble in windows with my 2500 at 2.2ghz.
 
Back
Top