Reduce NVR sound level

se4b4ss

Gawd
I installed a new security system in my house and put the NVR in our master bedroom. I did this before powering up and hearing how loud the unit was. A ticket to the manufacturer was fruitless so I'm wondering what I can do to quiet this thing down on my own. I downloaded an app and base lined the sound level with the case on at around 60 dBa. Simply removing the case took the level down to about 48 dBa, a very noticeable difference. I'm attaching pictures of the fan, case, and case fan grill and asking for advice on how to drop the sound level even lower.

nvrwithcase.jpg

nvrwithoutcase.jpg

nvrfan1.jpg

nvrfan2.jpg

nvrfangrill.jpg

TIA,
Steve

My first thought was to build an isolation box with sound absorbing acoustic foam on the inside, and you could use larger low-speed Noctua fans for intake and exhaust to help cycle the air. But then I thought that if you design it right you might even be able to take the top cover of your NVR off and disable that Sunon fan. Of course, no matter what I would use a laser thermometer to measure stock levels on those chips and heatsinks and compare afterwards just to be sure that this is not going to damage the components.

Now, if you're looking to add to something in the Ghetto Mod forum. Hole saw and put a 140mm on top of those heatsinks, "secure" it with zip ties, splice that into the positive and negative power to the little Sunon fan and use some duct tape for decoration. :)

Thank you sir.

I dremeled the inlet grill off of the case and now it's ~48 dBa w/o the case and ~54 dBa with the case. Anybody know a quiet fan to replace that one?

Noctua fans are great in general. I've used loads of them without any trouble. But I can't say I've tested that tiny one, so can't comment on the noise it makes. But in general Noctua fans are designed to deliver good performance while running as quiet as possible.

That fan will be a bit better, but you are still talking about a 4,500rpm 40MM fan, it's going to still be loud and high pitched, making it more annoying. Are you willing to do any modding or cutting? If so, cutting a hole and mounting a 92-120MM slim line fan on the top would make this thing pretty much silent, a 500rpm 120MM fan will move more air than that little thing screaming at 4,500 rpm. Adding in a few extra HS to some of the chips or adding better ones might help as well to keep heat down if the fan is thermally controlled. Jut replacing the 40MM with another of the same speed will have minimal impact however, you need to move to a larger fan.

Back