Redneck cooling

ekliptikz

Limp Gawd
Well I saw this link: http://www.smoothdesigners.com/redneckcooling/
And it was titled: 'Redneck cooling'

I never realized it was such an oddity until now but my cooling system has been like this for almost a year now. The fan on my geforce4 broke like a year ago and Im too lazy to replace it.

DSC00123.jpg

DSC00125.jpg

Its kinda dark under my desk too and I never noticed that guitar pick by my floppy drive, man I lost that thing ages ago.

JackieChanIsGOD said:
lol, on a Vaio no less...
That's like duct taping a cardboard spoiler on a really expensive Chevette.
I hope you're refering to the VAIO as the spoiler. The fan is worth it's weight in gold :p

yes I too hope you're talking about the vaio as a spoiler, the case is a piece. I bought it like 3 years ago and nothing inside it is original, which is a bad idea. Cause you have to take apart the entire case just to get at the PCI slots.

I guess it fits. I'm a redneck and I have a 18" box fan up against the side of my case. (No A/C). In the Winter I don't need it, I can put the side on and the cool case lights, unless I'm doing something super extreme / super OC'd. In the Summer (in N. Cali) I pretty much have to leave the side off all the time and put this giant box fan up against the side.

I like to keep the temps at 50C, and I don't want to mess with water.

Yeeehaaaw!!

Balls to the walls, mortar to the pestle. :D

That be's some 'orniry looking blow piece 'y got 'erself thar.

I did that for a while when my CPU fan died too. Then I got a new one & put the case cover back on. I had my rig & the fan standing up though.

how many posts will there be of the same thing...a house fan pointed at or strapped to the side of a case....

wow, looks like shit! I am depressed! ;)

BTW, get that guitar pick out of there before it pokes someone in the eye!

Almost 10 years ago, back when I was poor (in the army), and could only afford a 100mhz cyrix cpu I did the same thing so I could OC to 133, except I sat everything upright.

Had to run it summer and winter, and in the winter I had to have a blanket just for my feet or my toes about froze off!

Haha, those pics are hilarious. I had to share them with some friends on AIM.

Good stuff.

I would be more worried about the magnetic field from the fan motor than air pressure.

TwEaKd said:
I would be more worried about the magnetic field from the fan motor than air pressure.

Thats exactly right. You might run into trouble if that is an unshielded motor in that fan (which it most likely is). Be on the lookout for some data loss...

Dark Ember said:
Thats exactly right. You might run into trouble if that is an unshielded motor in that fan (which it most likely is). Be on the lookout for some data loss...

Would it help if I moved the fan further away er somethin?

i had one of those dual window fans blowing into my case.. and my monitor kept going crazy... it pissed me off.. then i discovered that my fans were causing it... so i moved them to the window where they should have been...

why not try using 12VDC car's radiator fan? just wondering what is the power rating of those things...

about data loss.. once i did a ghetto subwoofer without sheilding and place it beside my casing (closed)... when i run 3dmark or any benchmark that required heavy HDD usage, the pc will suddenly freeze!

i moved the subwoofer 2 feet away and the problem solved

Thunder888 said:
Yeeehaaaw!!

Balls to the walls, mortar to the pestle. :D

That be's some 'orniry looking blow piece 'y got 'erself thar.

lol :D spoken like a true redneck ;)

Back