Redirect Local address

tmoran000

n00b
I have a server on my network that to get to I have to go to a local IP on my network. It is not accessible outside on the public IP. So what I want to do is just be able to type a word in my browser to pull the page up for example. in the browser just type the word THOR and it would be the same as typing 192.168.1.16. I know you can do it in the Host file but I run a MAC and I don't want to have to do that on every computer in the network. Any way to do this on the Router or set up something on my server to direct that way? I don't know what this is called or I would have been able to do better searching on it. Thanks anyone who can help!

You could add an entry to your DNS server if your router supports doing so. Its been a long time since I've touched a residential router, so I'm not sure if many do anymore.

Local host file
OP said he doesn't want to have to edit this on every computer in the network.

tmoran000 - This is called DNS - you are trying to create a new Host (A) record on a DNS server. Do you have a local DNS server there that you control? If you have a domain controller, then you have a DNS server that you (or someone) controls. If you have a Mac server, it's entirely possible that you are serving up DNS services from that as well.

What you are trying to do is make it so when you type in THOR in your browser, it will automatically append your DNS suffix, and with the (A) record in the DNS server that you are pointing to, it will resolve that to the IP address of the server.

tmoran000 - This is called DNS - you are trying to create a new Host (A) record on a DNS server. Do you have a local DNS server there that you control? If you have a domain controller, then you have a DNS server that you (or someone) controls. If you have a Mac server, it's entirely possible that you are serving up DNS services from that as well.

What you are trying to do is make it so when you type in THOR in your browser, it will automatically append your DNS suffix, and with the (A) record in the DNS server that you are pointing to, it will resolve that to the IP address of the server.
well without a dns server this is the only way. He could script it very easy. Just need the same local admin on each box...

Setup a local DNS server, or edit hosts file on each computer. Only way. Unless you like setting up DNS servers, and manually editing the entries there, I suggest a local hosts file will be much simpler.

You might be able to set this up on your router. In PFSense, I add hosts to the DNS forwarder, so all computers on the internal network get the correct internall IP.

Ya no local DNS server or domain controller. I have recently added an UNRAID server to my network. so my network from top down is... Verizon ONT > Night hawk router > unmanaged Switch> to Server and Computers.

The nighthawk router can run it's own internal DNS. I'm pretty sure it can do this out the box, but if not their are 3rd party firmwares you can flash that will including, but not limited to DD-WRT.

The nighthawk router can run it's own internal DNS. I'm pretty sure it can do this out the box, but if not their are 3rd party firmwares you can flash that will including, but not limited to DD-WRT.
I will Look into this. Its the Night hawk X10. Im gonna have to check this out. Im just not ready to build any Pfsense boxes yet. Thanks for the tip

I will Look into this. Its the Night hawk X10. Im gonna have to check this out. Im just not ready to build any Pfsense boxes yet. Thanks for the tip

Be careful if you aren't entirely familiar with DNS configurations - if you don't know what you are doing, you could cause yourself a lot of headache.

If the Nighthawk is going to proxy the DNS traffic and resolve internal hostnames, make sure you have the proper forwarders configured elsewhere for all other traffic. Chances are you may not need to change anything, but something to be mindful of.

Back