Red Vortex

zerocount

n00b
Okay... first worklog posted here, and the work is going to be done as quickly as possible. Essentially, my GF's sister needs a new computer, and needs an inexpensive web-browsing, music-listening, you-tube watching, office capable desktop.

Being the hell of a guy I am, I offered to order and assemble a relatively inexpensive machine. However, my motives were not pure... I was going to use the opportunity to do a little modding work, of course.

I will warn in advance that while working, I'll probably forget to take a lot of pics, but will try to capture as much action as I can. Also: all images are from a Blackberry Curve... a truly shitty camera. Apologies.

So... starting point: an in-house Futureshop "Cicero"-brand Pentium machine.

Before.jpg

It was a cheap little insurance replacement for my GF (that has since been replaced by something much nicer), and is a really sort of cheap steel crappy case.

The Plan:
- gut the case
- paint the case (Red... very red, hence the "Red" part of "Red Vortex")
- mod the case (including the main feature - a big old 120MM front and center duct for cooling. Hence the "Vortex" part of the equation)
- install all brand-new components into the case
- keep it all in the neighbourhood of CDN$700.00 or so

The Cheating:
- as the time and resources (sandpaper, bondo, spraypaint, etc.) were all technically speaking, unecessary, I absorbed the cost of these things
- I threw in an Antec 400W PSU that I had kicking around (and no plans for)

First Steps:
The side panels were heavy steel with (as you can see) these little indented hole-punch patterns on each panel. Sanded the hell out of them with a random orbital power sander and some 80 Grit... trust me, the paint was a heavy thick powder coating... took forever. Cleaned it up with some 400.
6.jpg

The plan is to fill in the indented hole-punched area with bondo to create smooth sides, so that after priming and painting, the sides are simple, nice, and clean. You can see a first stage bondo filling in one of the panels below:
5.jpg

I hated the front of this thing, except for the little recessed usb mic/speaker panel, so I had to figure out how I was going to work this thing together. I don't have all the pics, but I can tell you that I:
- epoxied the silver and black pieces together (they were all actually snap-together separate pieces)
- busted out mr. dremel and after some quick measurements, cut a hole in front of the case... what diameter you ask? Why the diameter of a performance-pcs fan duct, of course!
- I also started to build up a little bondo around the vent hole (and filling in the a drive hole), as it was a curved front, and the fan duct had a flat mounting area
4.jpg

and here's the glorious backside of it:
2.jpg

Not looking all that impressive as of yet, granted, but I am hoping for a pretty clean finished project.

Next up: Bondo, bondo, sanding, sanding, sanding, priming... let the good times roll.

Okay, got some work done this weekend:

Sanding: check
Self-Etching Autmotive Primer: check
Plastic Primer: check
Test fit the duct in the bezel
11.jpg

I must say that the self-ethcing primer is awesome, evil paint. It has a heavy, coarse texture that for the most part, looks pretty damn nice... might even consider doing a case only in the primer.
13-1.jpg

Front bezel is coming along nicely... there's a little more bondo on there, and I think that once I have the red on there, it looks like there may be some visible seams. I'll do a test coat or two, and decide from there.
12.jpg

Ah yes, the inside frame of the beast... Super sexy with that crudely dremelled hole in it, no? That's, of course, where the fan will be mounted. Because I'll be mounting the HDD in the 5 1/4 cage, I just tossed the HDD cage. A quick cleaning and spray with Tremclad black should suffice.
10-1.jpg

I am none to pleased about one development: the bondo job I did on the side panel "vents." It doesn't look like it's all that level, and will likely show up clearly under the final paint (which I am hoping to get fairly glossy). I am working out some options. Next up: Painting throughout the week. Well, painting, sanding, painting, sanding, etc. I am going to use the 800, 1000, 1500, 2000 grit method to try to get the shine up.

Don't you mean good blackberry? Those are good camera picks. You should say, damn not having a digital camera? :p...

Sorry I love Blackberrys :)

Don't you mean good blackberry? Those are good camera picks. You should say, damn not having a digital camera? :p...

Sorry I love Blackberrys :)

Ha! Don't get me wrong, I love my BB, too. But you are right, damn, wish I had good digital camera!

I had a SLVR, and yes, the camera is attrocious!

Anyhoo: have a couple of coats of the red down on the sides and top, and it's coming along nicely... here's a quick pic after sanding at 1000 grit and painting:
Reflect.jpg

The filled in "hole thing/indentations" on the sides are indeed going to be a problem... but I think that I have figured out a way to clean them up, that will fit rather nicely with the overall theme of the case.

The front of the case has turned into a bit of a nightmare: some bondo cracked off, and some seams are still totally visible, so I am going to re-bondo (and integrate the bondo the the case better) and apply some filler primer from the automotice section of my local Canadian Tire.

By the way, huge thanks to Arcygenical, who sourced a few items for me, and provided some great advice... if things work out well, he deserves some credit on this.

Okay. Figured out a way around dealing with the pre-existing indented ventillation things on the sides of the case. As the front duct is going to be modder's meshed (hex mesh), the front is going to be both black (from the duct, bay covers, dvd-rom, and the front panel socket plate), red, and meshed.

The sides were originally going to be red. That's it. Hardly [H]ard.

So, I am going to dremel those offensive areas right out of the sides of the case, modder's mesh 'em, frame them with something, and bolt the frames to the sides. Should provide a nice consistency across all sides of the box, and should look a little like this (pardon crude Paint drawing):
sidepanelmockup.jpg

Plus I can get rid of the hunks of bondo currently filling the indents (and the distortion in the final paint will be gone from the uneven areas).

Best advice I recieved thus far: Filling primer. Genius. Thanks, Arcy. The front panel has had bondo reapplied, solidly, and is in the process of being primed with the filler primer. It seems to be eliminating any imperfections in the bondo levelling entirely. Pics to come soon.

Okay... vents cut out (several dremel cutting wheels later), and all of the unsightly bondo is gone! I had modder's mesh, nuts, bolts, etc... but i needed something to frame the grill. I found some crazy stuff that looks like unprinted circuit board - kind of a thin plasticky particle board type thing with a thin layer of copper foil on one side. As it turns out, it happened to be exactly the right size in one dimension, so I cut it up and dremelled it out, and sprayed it black...

I then added the modder's mesh, a piece of nylon window screening to assist with keeping dust out, drilled some holes, and here's a mock-up of what the final side panel vent should look like... what do you think?
23.jpg

...more to come...

looks pretty good. the frame is... well, the only word that comes to mind is 'chunky.' but that's not a bad things (not in this case anyway).

Alright... it's been a fast, quick build, and I'll apologize for the lack of much in the way of "process pics." As you know, I ground this thing out over a fairly short period of time in order to deliver for my gf's sister's birthday. Well, it's done (or, at least as done as I could get it in the time frame provided).

I'll ask for some extra mercy on the internals, as it was all of the external stuff that got the attention (and to be honest, she could care less and will never open the thing, anyway).

I give you: Red Vortex - the before and after:
BandA.jpg

41.jpg

40.jpg

38.jpg

36.jpg

33.jpg

Two things I wasn't jazzed about: The grey PSU, and the visible primer on the back of the faceplate bezel (no one will see it, but I'll know it's there):
39.jpg

I also decided that her crappy keyboard needed an upgrade to go with the new box, and I did have a surplus Dell keyboard kicking around, so I simply popped out the keys, primed, Kryloned (same colour), and clear-coated:
50.jpg

52.jpg

Wish I had the mouse to paint as well, but she didn't provide it, and as the keyboard was a surprise, couldn't think of a way to ask for it subtly.

And now a shot of the inside... a simple mATX Intel Executive mobo, a c2d 3.0GHz, 2 GB RAM, a 500GB IDE HDD (hey, the PATA drive helped keep it under budget). I threw in a couple of HDD heat sinks/isolation units (Nexus) so that it would fit in the 5 1/4" bay (keep in mind that the PATA cable is nowhere as close to the CPU fan as it appears):
IMG00040.jpg

Again, not necessarily awe-inspiring, I know. BTW - I replaced all the pop rivets with screws after tapping all of the holes... see the two silver screws that connect the drive cage to the top of the case? Had to file them down so that the sides would fit... could have used a dremel, but instead used a metal file, like a chump.

I threw in an aluminum filter on the inside of the front fan (as the nylon screening behind the modder's mesh rubbed against the fan, making a godawful racket), and mounted the HDD activity light to the top of it - as it's aluminum, the HDD light kind of lights up the screen, which it was impossible to get a shot of, but I assure you, looks pretty neat in a dark room.

I also tried to get a shot of the power switch, which illuminates the international symbol for "on," but it was hard to get a pic out of it:
IMG00042.jpg

Smudgy, I know (the clean finish is not!), and hard to see the light with the BB camera, but I assure you that it glows very red, and fits in with the case beautifully.

The other money in the project was rounded out with an Acer 19" widescreen display. On-time, on budget, and the opportunity for me to play around with some bondo, painting, and design methods. Happy Birthday, sister of girlfriend!

Good work! You were rushed but it by your craftsmanship it doesn't show at all.

Hey man, this looks really, really well done.

You should be incredibly proud of the paint job too.

@ Viperlover:

That is one sweet keyboard! Also, you may be missing that number 3 key... but I lost the damn up arrow, and had to replace it with the one from my kb... and until now, I never realized how much I used the damn arrows!

@ Arcygenical:

You had a painting tutorial that I can't find atm, but you if you could link it [nevermind, I found it here], it's primarily what I relied upon for the painting, so you deserve some of any credit due! Also: filling primer is the absolute best thing in the world to use over Bondo (thanks again, Arcy)... check your automotive section. I used a whole can on the front, and it eliminated any slight depressions or imperfections in the Bondo. It is awesome stuff - thanks for the recommendation.

very nice work. does it mean your GF "owes you," or do you have one of those "modern" relationships, where you're nice to each other out of kindness or, even worse, love? :p

very nice work. does it mean your GF "owes you," or do you have one of those "modern" relationships, where you're nice to each other out of kindness or, even worse, love? :p

We have one of those relationships where I am smart enough to know better than to answer that question :p

Back