Red Screen in Fallout 4

TFM

Gawd
I'm not sure where else to post this, but as it seems a video issue, i suppose i'll post here. I recently decided to resurrect my gaming desktop computer. I've been playing FO4 on my laptop some, but it's very difficult to play (just not up to it graphically). After a complete reinstall of Windows 7 followed by an upgrade to Windows 10 - i downloaded FO4 and began to play. Almost immediately i had a red screen and the computer shut down. I tried it again, and actually played for about 10 minutes or so and it happened again. I used to play Skyrim on this machine and assumed i would have no issues.

I'm assuming the problem is my video card (ATI HD6950x2 single card). But it also could be that I was using a 500w OCZ PSU that when i researched it i found out it was best for budget builds, but not intensive gaming solutions. So i picked up an EVGA 750G2 which would have ample power to run the card. I put the power supply in earlier today and fired up FO4 again. Within 5-10 minutes i get another red screen freeze up. This time, the computer went into a restart loop with windows and finally had to repair the windows installation to start up.

So - is my problem the video card? I have spent too much money on this machine lately already (bought a SSD and 8gb RAM to double my RAM before the PSU). If my video card is faulty then everything is just going to go back and i'll just be without a desktop computer for a while. I have run

Or could it be something else? Is this a known issue with the game? (I couldnt find much help with it from Google). I have run memtest on the old Patriot RAM and it passed without a problem. I also ran Furmark on my HD6950 for 20 minutes without an issue.

My System:
AMD Phenom X4 840
MSI 880G-E45
Diamond HD6950 2gb
Kingston 120gb SSD (New)
2x4gb Patriot 1333mhz RAM
2x4gb Corsair 1333mhz RAM (New)
Older Sound Blaster X-Fi
EVGA Supernova 750G2 PSU

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
What are your temps looking like while running the game?

red screen is gpu related...mine would do it with to low of gpu voltage. flashed a bios with higher clocks and voltage and never got a red screen again. I had to research it when i first got my 280x. With that being said just slightly reducing the gpu clock could fix it

Well - i deleted the drivers and installed the Crimson Beta drivers (HD6950 is now considered legacy software, so the new drivers apparently aren't meant for it?). I also took out the new RAM that i installed in the computer. Last night i played for about 2 hours with nary a problem. I put the RAM back in the computer just to test it, and within 20 minutes the game crashed to desktop. I started it back up and within 3 minutes it crashed to desktop again. So i took the RAM back out and played for about another 20 minutes or so problem free. Hopefully it's now fixed!

ok now it sounds like you have or had more than one issue lol. Sometimes when you add more ram, you might have to change the timings or speed to get it stable, assuming the ram is any good. The red screen crash is usually unstable gpu.(lower the gpu clock slighty to fix) Restart or bsod crashes are more indicative of the ram or cpu stability.
Run IBT or prime95 using all your ram and see if it passes cause it sounds like FO4 is a bit more taxing on system ram than most other games.

I had this a couple of different times with my 290x. I changed to a different driver and problem went away. So for me it was driver related. It's the easiest place to start.

Back