Red Orchestra 2

TL DR (here are gameplay videos of RO 2)
Gametrailers videos (I would recommend watching from the bottom of the list to the top)

Buy this game. It's RO 1 but better and more user friendly. You or your friends won't ragequit after playing 10 minutes cause its too hard, like I've seen happen many times while playing RO 1 :D

=========================
=========================

RO 1 has to be my favorite WW2 shooter. It has that slow paced semi-realism feel to it. It really stands out from other shooters.

Example of some of these features would be:
1 ) Changing machine gun barrels (prevent overheating)
2 ) Fixing bayonets!
3 ) Manually bolting rifles
4 ) Tanks aren't cookie cutter (Ex. Tanks in Battlefield have exactly the same stats for balancing and are just re-skinned. Tanks in RO are completely unique as they are in person.)
5 ) AT rockets and Tank rounds can be deflected or not penetrate (If you ever played World of Tanks its like that)
6 ) Maps ranging from infantry to combined infantry (mostly infantry supported by 1-2 tanks) to full-scale tank warfare
7 ) Mod support (they even got the mods downloadable through Steam. Darkest Hour is my favorite RO mod)

It did have some flaws:
1 ) Slow animations (going from Prone to Standing/Running was extremely long)
2 ) Lack of mantling over objects
3 ) Lack of any real teamplay features
4 ) Insane recoil (unrealistic)
5 ) Getting shot in the hands dropped your weapons (beyond annoying)
6 ) Clumsy melee system that got you killed more than getting you kills
7 ) Some of the vehicle maps were insanely huge

Things RO 2 has fixed (that I know of):
1 ) Sped up animations from Prone to Running (before you would never escape thrown grenades while in prone. now you stand a chance)
2 ) Added in mantling
3 ) They added some stuff, but I can't remember
4 ) Recoil is more realistic and not insane
5 ) No weapon drop when shot in hands
6 ) They are working on the melee system
7 ) There will be infantry, combined infantry and tank maps

=========================
=========================

Enough words on RO 1, let's move on to RO 2.

RO2 brings (100% PC Exclusive FPS):
1 ) Suppression system (not quite like Darkest Hour's version)
2 ) A lot of user friendly improvements over issues in RO 1 (watch the video links below)
3 ) Destruction
4 ) 1st person cover system
5 ) Bleeding wounds / also bandages (no reviving or healing)
6 ) Persistent stats tracking and Player progression
7 ) Clan Support
8 ) Up to 64 Players and Dedicated servers
9 ) Mod Support (3-4 mods already in development alongside the game: Rising Storm [WW2 Pacific Front], In Country: Vietnam [Vietnam War], Iron Europe: 1914-1916 [WW1], and any I'm forgetting)
10 ) Squad Command (Single-Player and possibly Co-Op)
11 ) WW2 weapons like never experienced before (breathing, bullet penetration, adjustable sights, mounting weapons [was in RO 1], using both ironsight and scope on a sniper rifle seamlessly, and etc)
12 ) Offline challenges and Online Achievements (A Steamworks game, of course its gonna have achievements :D)
13 ) Morale system
14 ) Operating tanks in 1st person only
15 ) A lot more..........

=========================
=========================

TL DR (here are gameplay videos of RO 2)
Gametrailers videos (I would recommend watching from the bottom of the list to the top)
 
Last edited:
This will be a true PC game. A long needed one too

People said that about The Witcher 2 and now its coming to 360 in November. I would expect RO2 console announcement after PC release. Even Diablo 3 is going to consoles. (recent very descriptive job postings about console devs for the Diablo team pretty much confirm it)
 
People said that about The Witcher 2 and now its coming to 360 in November. I would expect RO2 console announcement after PC release. Even Diablo 3 is going to consoles. (recent very descriptive job postings about console devs for the Diablo team pretty much confirm it)

I think most people mean that in the sense that the actual game was made and developed on pc's with that in mind.

I'd love to see the 360 Witcher 2 w/full settings and Ubersampling, it's just not gonna happen.
 
This game will be the biggest tits around imo. For the hardcore fps folks. Cod retards need not apply.
 
This game will be the biggest tits around imo. For the hardcore fps folks. Cod retards need not apply.

STEAM had a free Red Orchestra weekend a few years ago and it was the largest influx if whiny shit heads I've ever seen.

"What do you mean I have to manually use the bolt on the sniper rifle?"

"Why can't I jump out of this 3rd floor window without taking any damage?"

"Why can't I drive and shoot the tank at the same time?"
 
I was already pretty interested in this. Even more so now I've taken the time to read/watch more on it.

Only thing that I'm apprehensive about is the free aim thing. I understand why they've done it but from playing so many FPS games over the years I can't shake the sensation of looseness when I play games like Timesplitters 2 that implement it. I'd have to try it before making any judgement on it.

I loved PR until it got a little bit too anal. The engine didn't lend itself well to that style of game either. This looks really tight though.
 
Free aim is that realism + balancing. SMG and Automatic rifles can be a deadly force as a Rifleman. With free aim, even if they come charging at you firing from the hip they still need to aim on target. Giving you the chance to fire back before they can. The majority of teams are usually Rifleman.
 
Last edited:
RO2 proves to be more of a PC FPS game since the release of TF2. If you want to support PC gaming, then check out this PC exclusive.

  • Support for Ranked and Unranked Dedicated Servers
  • Ranked servers monitored by Devs for banning misbehavior
  • Support for custom rulesets on unranked servers
  • Server tool can be used to customize weapons, classes, game types, gameplay elements and scoring elements
  • LAN play will be supported
  • Both VAC and Punkbuster simultaneously (VAC will not catch hackers until 5 months later and PB will kick you for NOT hacking, jk (y) )
  • Demo recording and spectator mode
  • Custom keybinding and custom UI
  • 64 player maps can be scaled down to 16 and 10 player battles
 
I really encourage anyone with even a remote interest to consider voting "yes" with their wallet on this game.
 
I know I definitely will be. This looks set to be the FPS player's FPS. Everything anyone with a modicum of sense could ever want from a first-person game.
 
My fear is they release this near the time of BF3 and the dreaded cod plops too.

Still getting this and the expansion.
 
Let's not forget the inclusion of Co-op campaign and skirmish mode. RO2 is a day one buy for me. I've been playing Red Orchestra and Darkest Hour fairly regularly for a long time now. It can be tough to get into, but just recently I've gotten a lot of my friends interested in DH, and they are just loving every moment of it now.

Frankly, I'm more interested in seeing what happens with this game than I am with BF3.
 
Rumor is the game will release in August or around August. However they'll only release it when they think its ready.

Friends and Family beta has already started. Then later they will invite clans to test the competitive features. Then a big 20k or something beta key invite/giveaway.
 
Rumor is the game will release in August or around August. However they'll only release it when they think its ready.

Friends and Family beta has already started. Then later they will invite clans to test the competitive features. Then a big 20k or something beta key invite/giveaway.

That would be awesome if this thing were ready to go during summer time.

Either way, it just needs to come out too close to BF3.
 
I am one of the biggest BF fans, and even (being a silly, bored adolescent) resprayed a perfectly good TJ-05 with some BF2 decals in anticipation of the game. And I think I am more excited about RO2 than BF3. By a fraction.
 
EDIT: Ahhhh dang forum keeps auto embedding videos. I give up.

I'm loving the soundscape in Red Orchestra 2. Small arms fire + orchestra music is just brilliant. I would say it rivals the soundscape in BC2.

www.gametrailers.com/video/multiplayer-gameplay-red-orchestra/717223
www.gametrailers.com/video/soviet-gameplay-red-orchestra/717225

A bunch of videos that are starting to popup from their press events:
[ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe1X4Po7seg"]YouTube - ‪Red Orchestra 2 interview Tripwire Interactiven kanssa - osa 1/2‬‏[/ame]
[ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt4NO0vmdMk"]YouTube - ‪Red Orchestra 2 interview Tripwire Interactiven kanssa - osa 2/2‬‏[/ame]
[ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFo13wy_b_4"]YouTube - ‪Gamecorner.pl - Red Orchestra 2‬‏[/ame]
www.gametrailers.com/video/soviet-gameplay-red-orchestra/717225
 
Last edited:
People said that about The Witcher 2 and now its coming to 360 in November. I would expect RO2 console announcement after PC release. Even Diablo 3 is going to consoles. (recent very descriptive job postings about console devs for the Diablo team pretty much confirm it)

How does the fact that they're porting it to the 360 make it not a PC game?
 
When you release it to the PC first, THEN to the fucking consoles, it is a pc title.

At least this release is pc focused.
 
I am one of the biggest BF fans, and even (being a silly, bored adolescent) resprayed a perfectly good TJ-05 with some BF2 decals in anticipation of the game. And I think I am more excited about RO2 than BF3. By a fraction.

I really think this game + the pacific expansion is going to be the best fps released. I am afraid bf3 has been bit hard by the bullshit bug. Not to say bf3 will suck, just that it will be less than anticipated.
 
This is the only game that I am really keeping an eye out for.

I'm a WWll afficianado and recently read a stunning account of the Battle of Stalingrad which included recounts of actual cannibalisim. This was one of the premier epic battles of WWll . Tripwire and it's fans are very much aware of this and I'm hoping the game captures the real life intensity.
 
When you release it to the PC first, THEN to the fucking consoles, it is a pc title.

At least this release is pc focused.

Exactly. This is the way it should always be in my fantasy world: Develop on the PC first and port out. Everyone wins.

I can't wait to get this game. :)
 
Exactly. This is the way it should always be in my fantasy world: Develop on the PC first and port out. Everyone wins.

I can't wait to get this game. :)

Sorry for my ignorance, but since all games are made on the PC how the hell do they make such crap pc ports? It confuses me why it's so damn hard to do it right.
 
Sorry for my ignorance, but since all games are made on the PC how the hell do they make such crap pc ports? It confuses me why it's so damn hard to do it right.

LOL, I've asked that same question so many times.

Every game gets conceived either on a PC or a Mac or some other computer like that, right?

If so then...yeah, I echo your question. Again. ;)
 
probably because they have the dev kit console hooked up to said PC and when they test the game they are testing it using the console so the PC never plays into the equation in terms of actually going into the "feel" of the game.
 
He is SOOOOO right about the guns in video games.

They ALL feel artificial.

Most notable plastic guns:Crysis 1/2, Black Ops, BFBC2.

Notable exceptions: Vietcong, FEAR, STALKER(s)... uhmm some1 help me, cant think of any other.

Judging by the videos RO2 guns looks like a REAL thing!

Oh and plx don't compare that Witcher 2 consolitis mess with RO2 or even Diablo 3 :)
It's ridiculous.
 
Oh and plx don't compare that Witcher 2 consolitis mess with RO2 or even Diablo 3 :)
It's ridiculous.

Witcher 2 isn't a console port. Neither is Diablo 3.

Believe me, I'm very enthusiastic about RO2 myself but you kind of lost me here.
 
Yeah I thought something like that might happen... anyway sorry about TW2 remark.
It's a RO2 thread, so I'll stop right there :)

Finns are great developers, aren't they?
 
I finally looked at this game and I am so glad I didn't pre-order Bad Company 3!!! This is a definite buy for me. Commander, Real Squads, real PC game...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkk3SiywLHI&feature=related"]YouTube - ‪Red Orchestra 2 Detailed Gameplay - Interview with John Gibson‬‏[/ame]
 
I never really got into RO1 but I do know that it's been praised from every corner of the Web. The more and more I see of this, the more excited I get. It gives me a really nostalgic feeling, almost like we're back in the MoHAA and early CoD Days.

Plus, Tripwire seems to know what the fuck is up and if the mods already in creation and their previous games are a sign to how the interact with their community this game will have a LONG enjoyable life-span.

Bring it on!
 
I love RO1, but I will admit, it is very slow and clunky. From the footage I have seen so far, TWI seem to resolved these issues with RO2.
 
Some discussion on Hero only weapons, ranking, and unlocks. Progression in a class and progression in specific weapons. If you raise a class high enough you can unlock weapons from the other country to use at spawning (He mentions if you raise your German SMGer high, you can unlock the ppsh in his loadout).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDwPNdQYP5U"]‪Red Orchestra 2 Heroes of Stalingrad‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]
 
Game is going to be GREAT! I can't wait for the first day, the noob rush will be a massacre.
 
Game is going to be GREAT! I can't wait for the first day, the noob rush will be a massacre.

But that's going to be just about all of us isn't it? ;)

I KNOW I'm getting my ass kicked when I get into this. If I even show up and remotely competitive I'm going to be pretty happy with myself.
 
Back
Top