Red Orchestra 2

I have been waiting for this game for quite a while. The Original RO was a really good game, with the only downside being the dated graphics.

Did you ever play the original?
 
I played original after it declined in popularity and there just wasnt enough of a crowd to enjoy it. mildly interested in the sequel
 
I still play the original once in a while, awesome game. I also hold Tripwire Interactive in very high regard as a developer.

The new one will be amazing. A bunch of new features, much more interesting and insanely simulated tank combat, etc.
Plus the coolest thing ever - inhouse total conversion mod already underway, I hope it will be great enough to be an expansion (DH nearly was for the original)

I truely hope the game will live up to the hype generated in the PC Gamer magazine, and raise the bar for fpses
 
I still play the original once in a while, awesome game. I also hold Tripwire Interactive in very high regard as a developer.

The new one will be amazing. A bunch of new features, much more interesting and insanely simulated tank combat, etc.
Plus the coolest thing ever - inhouse total conversion mod already underway, I hope it will be great enough to be an expansion (DH nearly was for the original)

I truely hope the game will live up to the hype generated in the PC Gamer magazine, and raise the bar for fpses


I guarantee you sight unseen it's going to stand out from the sea of console ports we've been swimming through. I'm prepared to support it on principle alone although I know it's going to be a damned good game.
 
I never played the original RO but I heard Tripwire supported it beyond belief and that is a welcome sight. I purchased Killing Floor and yes graphically it was dated but man is it fun and has solid game play.
From the little I know of Tripwire they seem like a group of PC guys and they make just PC games and for that I will give them a chance on RO2, so soon as its available for Pre-Order I'm in and I am pretty certain I can convince my buddies to get it as well.
 
I remember being interested in the first one for quite some time, even while it was still in early form. Then I remember trying out one of the later beta releases and being rather disappointed because all the servers were running infantry only maps for some reason. Not sure if there were issues in MP with vehicles or something back then.
 
i keep fearing they will dumb this down in some way so they can market it to the masses. RO1 was pretty hardcore and it always had a very small and tight knit community.

I do recall buying UT2k4 or whatever UT game RO was originally a mod for just to play RO
 
i keep fearing they will dumb this down in some way so they can market it to the masses. RO1 was pretty hardcore and it always had a very small and tight knit community.

I do recall buying UT2k4 or whatever UT game RO was originally a mod for just to play RO

Always a legit concern but the fact that this thing is PC exclusive right off the bat should allay that concern quite a bit. It does for me.

There are some other game details that I'm looking at that also reassure me quite a bit.
 
Original player here, still play Darkest Hour fairly regularly now too.

This is the next big title I am waiting for, I only hope it gets the amount of love the first one got. Would love to see the same great mods and support as the first one got.
 
I remember being interested in the first one for quite some time, even while it was still in early form. Then I remember trying out one of the later beta releases and being rather disappointed because all the servers were running infantry only maps for some reason. Not sure if there were issues in MP with vehicles or something back then.

Well, it was just that there were a few good mixed maps with like one to two tanks max. Otherwise you had tank focused maps with huuuuuuge distances that just wasn't fun to play as anything but a tank.

Many people preferred the infantry maps for that reason. I myself liked the mixed ones with a couple of tanks for support in the map with the focus more on infantry.
 
sadly RO now is pretty much all tank maps and I never liked the vehicle mechanics in the game. there was always some really goofy about it.

I used to charge around on the motorcycles at AT INF, race behind tanks, jump off, shoot the faust and hop back on the bike and drive off.

and I swear to god, no matter where I hit a tank with my shells, I could never take them out yet the worst tank could take out my panther in one blow.
 
I used to do the exact same thing with the AT infantry. Was a lot of fun when you didn't wan to play tank wars.

I hope it'll be easier for infantry to hide from tanks in this game. It sucks when a tank can see you in an open field from 300m crawling around.
 
I played the first one years ago when it was a mod. When they started charging for it I didn't buy it, though. Seemed like the servers weren't populated enough to warrant me buying it. The second one looks pretty good but it comes down to whether the servers will be populated or not. I remember even when it was a mod it was still difficult to find a server that didn't have bots in it.
 
I played the first one years ago when it was a mod. When they started charging for it I didn't buy it, though. Seemed like the servers weren't populated enough to warrant me buying it. The second one looks pretty good but it comes down to whether the servers will be populated or not. I remember even when it was a mod it was still difficult to find a server that didn't have bots in it.

You do understand, that with their mod for UT they won the "make something unreal contest" which won them the ability to use the unreal engine and new unreal engine 3 (at the time) along with money. They took this money, started Tripwire studios and worked on Red Orchestra (the pay version). If they did NOT charge for it (and the price was well below retail for normal games) their new company wouldn't have stayed afloat and we likely wouldn't be getting the new RO2.

RO is a niche game, they know this, but it has it's dedicated players. There are many ways to get around bots (filters), I never lilke playing with bots and never have once in RO.
 
I just found a couple large and popular servers and played on them. I think one or both use bots now but around a year ago or so they were still going strong with 20-40 players during peak times so it wasn't so bad.

As I played(near the end of the pay version) I could see the smaller servers die off, so I'm not expecting to see hundreds of servers in RO2, but there should be a sufficient amount.
 
I just found a couple large and popular servers and played on them. I think one or both use bots now but around a year ago or so they were still going strong with 20-40 players during peak times so it wasn't so bad.

As I played(near the end of the pay version) I could see the smaller servers die off, so I'm not expecting to see hundreds of servers in RO2, but there should be a sufficient amount.

There should be more than sufficient. There were a lot of active NA based servers up until the end of 09' pretty much. It's also much more supported and played in Europe.
 
You do understand, that with their mod for UT they won the "make something unreal contest" which won them the ability to use the unreal engine and new unreal engine 3 (at the time) along with money. They took this money, started Tripwire studios and worked on Red Orchestra (the pay version). If they did NOT charge for it (and the price was well below retail for normal games) their new company wouldn't have stayed afloat and we likely wouldn't be getting the new RO2.

RO is a niche game, they know this, but it has it's dedicated players. There are many ways to get around bots (filters), I never lilke playing with bots and never have once in RO.

Yeah, I understand that. I'm not against them trying to make money on their creation or anything. I liked the game and the gameplay but just didn't really play it enough to make it worth my money.
 
Huge fan of the first one but let me just say something...

TWI really seems keen on their skull and bones secrecy on their forums, they have really been close guarding just about every facet of info over there throughout the whole development. They need to release this game, and release it soon. If they don't BF3 and MW3 will eclipse its release. Im a poor college student and don't have enough money to pay for BF3 + RO2, I have to pick and choose if games are too close together.
 
Yeah, I have a feeling if they can't release it before BF3 this year that like the first RO (the retail one, not the mod) that it will not sell that well again, which will be terrible because these gam es are so much fun if you give it a chance and learn it.

I'm really hoping they can get it out at least a couple of months pre-Bf3.
 
Still playing Darkest Hour.

I really hope this one lives up to the predecessor, and that the DH team will continue to work their magic in the new game.
 
IF they released it now-ish, it would be a semi hit at least. Waiting is going to kill it but there will still be pretty good sales b/c the pc community should at least support it. I will buy it and bf3 but not much else.
 
Still playing Darkest Hour.

I really hope this one lives up to the predecessor, and that the DH team will continue to work their magic in the new game.


Im not sure if the DH team is working on the actual Red Orchestra 2 game, or on the inhouse pacific mod. Im sure they will do good though
 
I don't know if they'd be working on the game itself considering their steady stream of content for the DH mod. Either way, I hope they do something there, they've done a real fantastic job with DH, would like to see what they can come up with next. Just DH in RO2 would make me salivate.
 
I am pretty sure I remember reading a while back on the RO site that the DH team was working on something for RO2.
 
Been playing since 2007. The first is still the most realistic FPS, and the second will just add to that.
 
RO is one of my favorite PC games of all time. I remember playing a free weekend of it on Steam, thinking "wow this game sucks". However, not being used to something that wasn't counter-strike/day of defeat, the game gradually grew on me more and more until I found myself staying up all night to play. I can't wait for the second RO, and I think I'll even join a clan this time around.
 
Back
Top