Red hydrogen one

B770

Weaksauce
just got a red hydrogen one tonight, was on the fence about it and know its a personal decision, but DAMN!!! i really like this phone !

read many reviews about it and some were good some very bad.... all i can say is it works for me. if your in a AT&T store take a min. and check out the demo unit. Red also seems to be supporting it very well with regular updates. never thought i would drop that kind of wampum on a phone, but just damn.

If that phone works for you.. I'm sure most other phones would have too, hah. That phone was the top disappointment for most phone reviewers/enthusiasts this year it seemed. It might be a good phone for battery life since it has a massive battery in it, but shipping a year late with last year's SoC, a mediocre (at best, since you can see the grid from the 3D display, brightness is relatively weak, and colors are off on it) display, disappointing camera (for having Red's name on it and even compared to others flagship phones), and having no accessories ready for it still, was a pretty big deal breaker for most that got theirs. Not to mention its price.

Not trying to shit on your purchase, but about the only appeal I see for it is for it being a unique looking brick and for those buying into their name only. I really do dig the design of the phone though despite it being so large. Hopefully they launch another one next year or so with current internals so it can at least compete on that front.

Hopefully they launch another one next year or so with current internals so it can at least compete on that front.
Actually, I hope they wait a little longer. If RED starts rolling out as many models as other manufacturers, they won't be able to support older models with updates for long.

In the meantime, solid attachments could give the current platform some longevity. Sure, it might not feel as snappy as a newer phone, but something that lets it blow other smartphone cameras out of the water would be a bigger selling point for many.

i dont get the bad press on the screen, when i look at it all i see is a absolutely great looking picture, the "3d" aspect of it looks great to me, i cant see any grid or anything like that, as for last years hardware, i haven't noticed it being slow at all. then again i am of the "why do we need to replace our hardware every 6 months " school. while some may think that its a "gimik", i look at it as one of the only new features to be added to a smart phone in quite a while. i mean really, what is the difference between last years model of the s8 and the "new" s9? is there really anything compelling that made you say "damn i need to rush out and get one of those " or " shit, i wish my phone did that" ?????
i needed a new phone as i dropped mine from about 20' up and as i walked into the at&t store i saw one on display. I looked at some of the "3d" pics and thought they were some of the best looking pics i had ever seen captured, and it diddnt look like all the other "glass slabs" that they had on display. buying a phone is a personal choice and i intend to keep this one around for several years. as for the future upgrades they are releasing 2 in January, one is a 10,000+ milliamp battery pack and the other is a lense adapter for using cannon/nikkon/ red "big" lenses. i have gotten several software updates in the last week from red, so they are supporting it well. it is a red phone that happens to use the android OS, most phones are android phones. maybe some of the updates fixed some of the problems that everyone seems to have noticed, but i am very happy with it.

i dont get the bad press on the screen, when i look at it all i see is a absolutely great looking picture, the "3d" aspect of it looks great to me, i cant see any grid or anything like that, as for last years hardware, i haven't noticed it being slow at all. then again i am of the "why do we need to replace our hardware every 6 months " school. while some may think that its a "gimik", i look at it as one of the only new features to be added to a smart phone in quite a while. i mean really, what is the difference between last years model of the s8 and the "new" s9? is there really anything compelling that made you say "damn i need to rush out and get one of those " or " shit, i wish my phone did that" ?????
i needed a new phone as i dropped mine from about 20' up and as i walked into the at&t store i saw one on display. I looked at some of the "3d" pics and thought they were some of the best looking pics i had ever seen captured, and it diddnt look like all the other "glass slabs" that they had on display. buying a phone is a personal choice and i intend to keep this one around for several years. as for the future upgrades they are releasing 2 in January, one is a 10,000+ milliamp battery pack and the other is a lense adapter for using cannon/nikkon/ red "big" lenses. i have gotten several software updates in the last week from red, so they are supporting it well. it is a red phone that happens to use the android OS, most phones are android phones. maybe some of the updates fixed some of the problems that everyone seems to have noticed, but i am very happy with it.

It being fast enough or people needing to feed their tech addictions with negligible upgrades are irrelevant; it's that their charging $1300+ for last year's hardware that's both slower and less power efficient (which is most important with newer SoCs really) than current hardware and it still doesn't compete with any other current phone in terms of display (lower brightness and visible grid), water resistance (none), speakers (weak and tinny), and camera (passable, but not competitive still).

Is it a good phone overall? Sure, just not for anywhere near its current MSRP. That's all I'm (and pretty much everyone else I've seen use/review it) saying. I would definitely rock it if I had to or given the opportunity for free or really cheaply, despite it being a slight downgrade overall from my current phone that came out last year as well.

I think MKBHD, a guy who's been a huge proponent for Red's cameras and other hardware, did a really honest review of it. Considering this guy has well over $100k of their equipment and still doesn't recommend it for it's price and shortcomings, that's should say all you need to know about it.

Again though, not trying to shit on your decision, I'm glad you're happy with it. But if you're happy with this phone, you would have been happy with anything else unless you were just after the name and/or aesthetics of the phone, because that's just about the only thing unique to it. You may trust that Red will somehow make up for this with their modules next year too, but I know I would never buy something based on what might come later and without knowing how good it might be even. Not to mention, who knows how much those modules will cost too, given how much they're already charging for their phone and camera hardware. I wouldn't be surprised if the modules cost as much as the phone itself or much more.

Last edited:
i wouldnt have been happy with any other phone because no other phone does the holopix, this is a huge feature, a new feature , that no other phone has, it also looks unique, witch alone is enough to buy it. i was going to get the note 9, but the holopix aspect sold me. watched the vid, he says the "grid" is partialy software and can be improved, i am here to tell ya, they fixed it as my phone shows NONE of the grid. they have been pushing updates non-stop and if he were to do that review again he probably would have a different view of it. the speakers have also been addressed.

i wouldnt have been happy with any other phone because no other phone does the holopix, this is a huge feature, a new feature , that no other phone has, it also looks unique, witch alone is enough to buy it. i was going to get the note 9, but the holopix aspect sold me. watched the vid, he says the "grid" is partialy software and can be improved, i am here to tell ya, they fixed it as my phone shows NONE of the grid. they have been pushing updates non-stop and if he were to do that review again he probably would have a different view of it. the speakers have also been addressed.

4View/Holopix has little support outside of what Red provides. With only this phone supporting the feature there is also little chance that most mainstream apps and games will support it. I believe that only a very small handful of games/apps currently support it and there is no indication that support will grow.

I saw the phone in person at AT&T earlier this month and the "hologram" technology reminded me of the same tech used in the Nintendo 3DS. Neat...but niche. I also did notice the grid that MKBHD mentioned that was slightly distracting. I would've strongly preferred a better quality display than this niche feature.

When Red announced they were making a smartphone I, and most tech enthusiasts, were hoping it would be a phone that just completely dominated the camera department. Unfortunately, that was not even remotely the case.

I agree with what T4rd stated, but as long as you're happy with the phone that's all that matters.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
THE 12/18/2018 (fkn caps lock.....) update fixed the grid issue, but i do agree with you about support, Red does support it but very few if any others do. and thank you, i am very happy with it.

Just curious, how does anyone else see these pics (as in on any other device) and will they still be usable in say 10 years?

Red has a app called holopix, it is a pic sharing sight and it is pretty cool, as for the 10 year thing, i dont know but i would hope so Red has been around since the 1970's and are still here so probably, if i were to send you pics i have taken with it they would show up as normal pics. the tech has a second screen underlying the normal screen so its impossible to see the effect without the RH1 , but if you had a RH1 you would see them with the H4V effect. they have some staggeringly good pics there. just got some new updates today and pics look even better. From what i understand from the official Red forums they are in this for the long haul.

B770 we get you like the phone but stop trying to push a bad product...

Last edited:
like this
Haha! (Vengeance is cold!!!)

About the 10 year thing. I've had a lot of old HTC phones. If I recall correctly, HTC came up with a 3D photo app for viewing and sharing; and then HTC also came out with live photos app thingy 3 years before everyone had it (Apple had it so therefore everyone else must too). Both of those viewers died in like 2 years max. HTC is obviously still alive now... So whether holopix will be supported for 10 years is questionable.

B770 we get you like the phone but stop trying to push a bad product...

ah....i was asked a direct question and gave a answer....how is that pushing anything?? or am i missing something here..... its not like i was pushing a apple, now that would be valid....

ah....i was asked a direct question and gave a answer....how is that pushing anything?? or am i missing something here..... its not like i was pushing a apple, now that would be valid....

I do think Vengance is being spurious and that you're not pushing things, but you really don't want to claim that the Hydrogen One is better than an iPhone... that's a fight that won't end well.

like this
Not surprised. What's the point of developing add-ons for a phone that likely sold poorly? The phone's userbase is already small and the % of the userbase that would even purchase these likely overpriced add-ons is even smaller.

Last edited:
Not surprised. What's the point of developing add-ons for a phone that likely sold poorly? The phone's userbase is already small and the % of the userbase that would even purchase these likely overpriced add-ons is even smaller.

It's the same problem Motorola faced, I'd say: it's designing a major feature of the phone around an expansion option that will only appeal to a subset of its users. On top of that, the vendor has to scramble to justify the modularity by creating add-ons that may have dubious value. No, I don't need a speaker on the back of my phone!

Back