Red Hydrogen One

GhengisKhan

Supreme [H]ardness
I am going to be switching from AT&T to Verizon sometime in the next couple months and this means that I will be getting a new phone.
As a photo and video nerd, the camera is pretty much the most important thing in what phone I go to next. I had pretty much decided to go with the LG V40, until I saw the Red phone on display at the Verizon store when I went in and scoped them out the other day.
The holographic display on this thing could be a serious game changer for phones, and the camera on this phone is supposed to be leaps and bounds above anything else available on the market.
Does anyone here have any insight or information on this phone?

From all the reviews I've seen it's a big nope. Yesterday's hardware (835 CPU I think) but tomorrow's pricing. MKBHD did a review IIRC and he's a big Red fan and even he said nope.

I am going to be switching from AT&T to Verizon sometime in the next couple months and this means that I will be getting a new phone.
As a photo and video nerd, the camera is pretty much the most important thing in what phone I go to next. I had pretty much decided to go with the LG V40, until I saw the Red phone on display at the Verizon store when I went in and scoped them out the other day.
The holographic display on this thing could be a serious game changer for phones, and the camera on this phone is supposed to be leaps and bounds above anything else available on the market.
Does anyone here have any insight or information on this phone?

A good summary of why you shouldn't get the Hydrogen One: it's a phone from a camera manufacturer, but it doesn't even come close to having the best smartphone cameras... and its one distinctive feature (the holographic display) is nothing but a gimmick.

Go buy that V40, and understand that you have a phone that's better than the Hydrogen One in every way.

Linus has a ton of RED stuff too and was mostly disappointed with the phone. It certainly looks awesome though.

This is why I posted this thread. You guys have probably just saved me from wasting $1200

Playing devil's advocate: RED's camera attachments might make the Hydrogen One worth the cost some day... But they aren't out yet.

But like others said, right here, right now, other phones have better cameras. A V40 is probably what I'd pick for myself, but you should give the Google Pixels a look too if camera quality is really important.

Playing devil's advocate: RED's camera attachments might make the Hydrogen One worth the cost some day... But they aren't out yet.

But like others said, right here, right now, other phones have better cameras. A V40 is probably what I'd pick for myself, but you should give the Google Pixels a look too if camera quality is really important.
I've thought about the attachment thing, but with it being RED, the attachment will probably end up costing as much as the phone itself. Also, I started another thread just now about picking a different phone.

This is why I posted this thread. You guys have probably just saved me from wasting $1200

Glad we could help. I hope we weren't too harsh, but the Hydrogen One is a definite head-scratcher. It'd be a decent phone -- if it cost about a third of what it did. Red is basically discovering that the methods that helped it succeed in cameras don't work in the phone world.

Back