Red Dead Redemption 2

This is one of those games that, while playing it, I’m astounded by its quality… but for some unfathomable reason I just can’t fully get into it.

An open world game that works better as a non-open world game, maybe?

What I mean is, maybe you need to stick to the main quest? I keep wandering off and exploring the world.

Anyway, I just bought a 4090 and this is one of the games I want to test the card on. LOL.
I'm not new, I've finished everything, 100% best in the west.
I still have 3 weapons and these two trinkets to find, I have solved everything else.
For these two trinkets, it shows me when I get to the fence that I have them, but in fact I don't have them, it shows me in the compendium equipment that I don't have them, I don't know why.

This is one of those games that, while playing it, I’m astounded by its quality… but for some unfathomable reason I just can’t fully get into it.

What I mean is, maybe you need to stick to the main quest? I keep wandering off and exploring the world.

Anyway, I just bought a 4090 and this is one of the games I want to test the card on. LOL.

Odd because this is the one game I played straight through. On the other hand, Elder Scrolls 4 Oblivion is one I never finished.

Last edited:

Same boat. Picked it up and appreciate the quality and detail but I don't have the interest in playing it like I thought I would, which is disappointing.

I'll say that, beyond anything else, the writing, dialogue and voice acting are fucking fantastic. As much as I dislike Dutch, his motivations/rationale and the willingness of his crew to continue following him, I understand why he would make these decisions. It helps to make it feel less of a videogame world and more of a historical documentary which is no small feat. I just wish the gameplay was as engaging.

Same boat. Picked it up and appreciate the quality and detail but I don't have the interest in playing it like I thought I would, which is disappointing.

I'll say that, beyond anything else, the writing, dialogue and voice acting are fucking fantastic. As much as I dislike Dutch, his motivations/rationale and the willingness of his crew to continue following him, I understand why he would make these decisions. It helps to make it feel less of a videogame world and more of a historical documentary which is no small feat. I just wish the gameplay was as engaging.
Did you get much beyond the first chapter or even out of it ? It does make a difference

Did you get much beyond the first chapter or even out of it ? It does make a difference
I think not?

But the weird thing is that I’ve spent dozens of hours on this game. I actually feel like I’m at fault rather than the game itself because this game has it all: atmosphere, story, incredible tech, detail, ridiculously high production values… it’s clearly special.

I have this idea that on some cold, rainy weekend I’m going to stay inside and marathon the game from start to finish - but sadly that remains a fantasy. I need to make that happen.

(I can’t believe that this is what my gaming life has come to - I have to force myself now to play great games?)

I've played about 20 hours so far. I was more engaged in the prologue because it felt like the blizzard was a genuine threat to their survival. Now it just feels like GTA 1899. Everything's great but it's missing something for me to continue playing.

I ended up spending the GRIP of time in chapter 3. Pretty much knocked out all the accumulated side quests, talismans, just wandering around, roping horses, etc. I could tell the story was as a precipice from the dialog so I chose to avoid it and wallow in the endless summer of the moment. God that was a heck'n good non-directional bit of wandering.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
It's rockstar, normally the system will be somewhat similar to gta, the same or similar engine and the game is mostly TPS like gta, as far as I know the hardest thing is to make TPS games.
By the way, I have the remaining famous gunslingers to deal with, I dealt with granger, midnight and black belle (I didn't shoot her, I saved her from bounty hunters and finally she left)

It's a shame that rockstar gave up on max payne, it's a studio that makes a lot of money because it doesn't make games very often, but when it does, they're mostly top-notch.RDR2 will be sold to new kids for a long time

Rockstar definitely took certain things in a different direction with the RDR2 systems. Including like 30 different types of food instead of "food." Introducing like 40 mechanics that overlap with the same button and only get used 2-3 times in the entire game. Meters, meters, meters, and more meters to manage. Completely eliminating the need to aim. Love 'em or hate 'em, they didn't just make GTA in the old west this time.

When you think you've discovered everything, in the end I come across the withered arm, some man in the swamp who has one small arm and one normal arm.
There is a house close by where I found perfect rats, you can also find a band tailed pigeon there(or rock pigeon), otherwise it's fucking hard to find it except at that house.
https://reddead.fandom.com/wiki/Withered_Arm?file=RDR2_POI_19_Withered_Arm_04.png

Just a little north of the marker on the map you can see where that dwelling is located.
By the way, perfect rats spawn there, and there are most of them at night.

Played for about 45m last night. A bit of chit chat at the start. I'll work through that until I can free roam or whatever.

game's ok I guess. Too soon to tell.

Played for about 45m last night. A bit of chit chat at the start. I'll work through that until I can free roam or whatever.

When you get to know the characters a little and as the story develops, it gets better and better, not to mention that you have as much to do as you want, you can devote yourself to the main story or more secondary tasks.

When you get to know the characters a little and as the story develops, it gets better and better, not to mention that you have as much to do as you want, you can devote yourself to the main story or more secondary tasks.
yea, that makes sense.

never been one for stories. I just want to get in and play. even grinding I don't mind. Just pop and smack mobs for an hour. Like, Witcher 3 didn't do a thing for me. See where this goes.

Duuude, gotta push through the prologue. It took me a couple of tries to get past because the game starts rather…leisurely. Once you get past the 2-3h beginning the game opens up and starts to shine. But, like bird said, it’s purposefully done that way to set up the story.

meh, see what happens.

Once you get to the camp that overlooks a canyon is when you can free roam. I haven't played Witcher 3 so I can't compare it to that, but it's GTA style free roam, and it's crazy the amount of details they put in the game, and the things you can do.

Exactly where I am now. Hunted a few deer and bringing Pearson the carcasses.

meh, it is a bit slow for me.
This is definitely a great game but I couldn't bring myself to complete it, I got pretty far into it though, rough estimate at 75% or so. Pace was ultimately too slow for me as well.

Now I have everything except lions paw trinket and panthers eye trinket, when crafting it shows me that I have them but they are not in the compendium.
And I don't have all the missions and chapters on gold (those tasks that the game sets for individual chapters), most of them are silver or bronze
Everything else is solved.
I think the game could be uninstalled now, what do you think? Do you still have the game on your computer?

Now I have everything except lions paw trinket and panthers eye trinket, when crafting it shows me that I have them but they are not in the compendium.
And I don't have all the missions and chapters on gold (those tasks that the game sets for individual chapters), most of them are silver or bronze
Everything else is solved.
I think the game could be uninstalled now, what do you think? Do you still have the game on your computer?
For me, RDR2 stays on ....it dies with my PC :)

Well, I could also leave the rdr2 game, I have a 500gb disk and two games, I still have 137gb free.

How many hours do you have in rdr2, without this online part?
I have 394.1 hours of play time according to what steam is throwing out.

I started the 1st blizzard level twice & got bored & p'd off that this was going to be a giant slow motion cut scene.

After looking for real game play youtube (tried to avoid spoilers before purchase) I tried a 3rd start and just drank beer & ate popcorn during the movie.

I finally got past the intro / tutorial and started looking for story mission progression using a wiki / guide site & overdosed on cut scenes.

Decided to try fishing / hunting / side missions & realized this is how I went about - GTA's, Far Cry, Skyrim, Witcher 3, etc.

Something "clicked" and I started having a lot of FUN - depending on my mood & my available time...

I can jump in for 30~40 minutes & "do the thing" (fish, hunt, rob, etc.) or sit down for 2 hours of story time & escape reality.

I ended up loving the game & it's in my top 10 all time favs.

I used to pump water from that hand pump(Beecher's hope), I know it all for the most part, some probably saw a water pumping machine for the first time in the game.
This was common in our country several dozen years ago, and is probably still used by some.
I don't know how it is in America, is it still possible to find a water pump?

I used to pump water from that hand pump(Beecher's hope), I know it all for the most part, some probably saw a water pumping machine for the first time in the game.
This was common in our country several dozen years ago, and is probably still used by some.
I don't know how it is in America, is it still possible to find a water pump?
Yes, there are still many hand pumped wells throughout rural America.

Most were converted to run with electric or generator powered pumps to supply livestock & crop irrigation.

We also have a lot of Americans who are going off grid & "homesteading" who pump their own water - in the house & outside.

What is your country?

Yes, there are still many hand pumped wells throughout rural America.

Most were converted to run with electric or generator powered pumps to supply livestock & crop irrigation.

We also have a lot of Americans who are going off grid & "homesteading" who pump their own water - in the house & outside.

What is your country?
europe,croatia
they also guessed the sound for that hand pump, it's mostly what you hear when the water is pumped, it makes a squeal

Just got a series of angry texts from a buddy's wife. He just picked up RDR2 on sale and hasn't put it down. Seems she's been giving him a bit of grief and his response is "talk to modi123.. it's his fault". bwahaha Love it.

I told her to get a cheap cowboy hat, a few bottles of wine, and sit down and run back-seat-saddle commentary while he plays.

Aaaaaaaaaaand there it is. With my buddy giving me daily updates and questions on his drive home from work, I now reloaded my last save and have decided to chip away at the challenges I skipped.

Today's lesson learned - dragging a person 3300ft does not require them to be alive for the entire drag. Seems I missed that implied condition a year ago.

Can confirm I got all the flowers for Algernon, and that quest sucked. The swamp sucks.

Though it did drive me to complete all but one of the level 9 herbalist challenge. Seems I was missing one last plant - desert sage. Bleh.

On a positive note it did tick me up from 95.4% complete to 96.5%.. so that's nice.

Can confirm I got all the flowers for Algernon, and that quest sucked. The swamp sucks.

Though it did drive me to complete all but one of the level 9 herbalist challenge. Seems I was missing one last plant - desert sage. Bleh.

On a positive note it did tick me up from 95.4% complete to 96.5%.. so that's nice.
I mean...I dunno...i actually liked the swamp. Especially at night...you may catch a ghost train....maybe even a crying ghost woman. It's a special place.

with that said, yes, that mission sucked.

I would like to think I am content not beating the challenges, but I need 'something to do' while my buddy plays his first go through. So on to the 'sharp shooter' challenges, and good lord. The whole 'disarm three people' was a lot more PITA than one would think. I guess one could say it was... challenging.. my skillset.

I tried poison arrows, revolvers, repeaters, up close, far away, etc. Eventually camped out in front of Shady Bell and kept trying to hit 'elbows' using a small range scope and avoiding incoming fire. Eventually, after the tenth or twelve reload, I got enough. Now on to shooting hats I guess. Maybe richers in St Denis could help.

Though the 'kill three birds of prey' was mildly amusing. Had a deer carcass in the road near the big ol' western lake in a spot I know has spawned in an eagle or two. Camped out behind a rock to huck tomahawks at bald eagles lured in. Little did I realize how many OTHER animals would want to come in and nibble at my eagle bait.. Boars, foxes, wolves, scraggly bears, vultures, crows, a few snakes, etc. Eventually had a mound of meat on the road getting clipped by wagons.

What a game.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Burned a hangover grinding out the 'A better world; a new friend' quest set. One heck of a funny cut scene as a pay off as well as fun post-quest 'game'. It was odd hanging out in the 'Heartland' area to circle a bird spawn area and listening for their spawn in tweets. Knocked out a number of birds right there so that's nice.

This pushed me to 98.5% completion, but the remaining challenges may just go undone. Partially completed horsemanship, bandit, and gambler, but the slog is getting to me, and I don't care to engineer the scenarios for them. Plus I suck at dominos.

I may try to spend time luring bears and cougars into enemy occupied areas to see if they attack them.

Side note - posted pictures of my finished 'Legend of the East' satchel here.

I'm at the last city of the game but can't bring myself to beat it. It's just the same thing, over and over. Zero challenge or sense of progression. Even the story is extremely repetitive (and is completely filled with overused tropes that don't mesh with Wild West themes e.g. feminism). Is the main character supposed to be a cowboy or a liberal? They're two different things in reality, but the same thing in this game.

I keep putting off starting this game because it sounds too immersive...realism is great but in a video game there needs to be more game-ey elements otherwise it'll get very boring/tedious...I keep hearing that it takes awhile for the story to get good, is extremely long and a lot of repetitive things to do, lots of walking back and forth etc...gorgeous graphics and a great story are impressive but the gameplay needs to be engaging throughout

Back