Red Dead Redemption 2

Are they working on improving FPS on PC, or is it staying the way it is? I doubt my 1060 6gb will be enough for 1080p. I don't need 140fps, but I don't want a stop motion game either.

It took a long time before there was any indication that they might have improved GTA V, like a year or so. Even then you probably wouldn't notice unless you had a processor architecture in line with the improvements they'd make.

I've seen plenty of people praising the 1060 6GB's performance in RDR2, you should be able to get a good quality/performance mix. But it takes a competent, modern CPU to squeeze the frames out of this game. I feel bad for anyone trying to get by on the minimum cpu spec.

Maybe it's time for developers to start listing specs required for the desired FPS?

It took a long time before there was any indication that they might have improved GTA V, like a year or so. Even then you probably wouldn't notice unless you had a processor architecture in line with the improvements they'd make.

I've seen plenty of people praising the 1060 6GB's performance in RDR2, you should be able to get a good quality/performance mix. But it takes a competent, modern CPU to squeeze the frames out of this game. I feel bad for anyone trying to get by on the minimum cpu spec.

Maybe it's time for developers to start listing specs required for the desired FPS?
3600. meh

Are they working on improving FPS on PC, or is it staying the way it is? I doubt my 1060 6gb will be enough for 1080p. I don't need 140fps, but I don't want a stop motion game either.

im getting around 65fps @ 1080p(resolution scale @ .90), medium-low settings on 1060 6gb and i5-8400. if i turn off resolution scale i lose 7-8 fps maybe. Sounds like older cpu's might get less though.

I know EA does now for their games. They will list resolution and frame rate minimum specs.

Started hunting legendary animals and it's a pretty wimpy mechanic. Run around in dead eye, find glowing pile, repeat a few times, marvel as it spawns right the fuck next to you and you can just blow it away with complete impunity.

Seems very strange in a game that otherwise seems so careful and detailed.

Yeah, that's where I worked out of myself. I tried verifying the files twice, but I'm still getting that error. Works fine if I launch Red Dead Online, but anything with my Story save, it gives that dialog box during the loading screens. If I could figure out where my save file is locally (I'm halfway through the story, I think), I'll feel more comfortable doing a reinstall when I get bandwidth, but I've at least got a ticket open for the time being.

I suppose this at least gives me a chance to play the Warlord games released on GOG just earlier today.

Just wanted to give an update on my situation- I ended up re-running benchmark tests while at main menu just for no reason whatsoever and afterwards I'm surprisingly able to re-enter my story save! Absolutely mind boggling. Thanks, pendragon1 for throwing out suggestions during my week-long inability to figure out what was causing my error.

Just wanted to give an update on my situation- I ended up re-running benchmark tests while at main menu just for no reason whatsoever and afterwards I'm surprisingly able to re-enter my story save! Absolutely mind boggling. Thanks, pendragon1 for throwing out suggestions during my week-long inability to figure out what was causing my error.
no prob, glad you got it goin.

I haven't been following RDR2 closely but it sounds like the initial PC launch issues have largely been fixed and the game is ok now? How will it run at 2560x1440 @ 144Hz on a 9700K/32GB DDR4/1080Ti? Will I be able to run high+ detail?

I haven't been following RDR2 closely but it sounds like the initial PC launch issues have largely been fixed and the game is ok now? How will it run at 2560x1440 @ 144Hz on a 9700K/32GB DDR4/1080Ti? Will I be able to run high+ detail?

There are a lot of graphics options, my PC isn't as strong as yours plus my res is 3440x1440 instead of your 2560x1440 and I run pretty much every setting at either high or ultra with the exception of some volumetrics, water quality and reflections. Those 3 settings are the biggest performance killers for the majority of gameplay. You can probably expect to get between 60-80 fps depending on the scene and where you tweak your graphic settings. If you try to max everything it will be less than 60fps I'm guessing.

The pace of the plot in this game is absolutely fucking glacial. I just hammered through like 10 missions and feel like I barely advanced the story in any meaningful way.

Also I'm straight up drowning in money and have like over 4k and growing. It seems impossible to exhaust your funds unless you buy literally everything. Loot bodies and you'll always have max of every supply known to man and make hundreds off watches and shit.

The pace of the plot in this game is absolutely fucking glacial. I just hammered through like 10 missions and feel like I barely advanced the story in any meaningful way.

Also I'm straight up drowning in money and have like over 4k and growing. It seems impossible to exhaust your funds unless you buy literally everything. Loot bodies and you'll always have max of every supply known to man and make hundreds off watches and shit.
if you have the maxed out satchel, filling it with consumables is a pretty good money sink.

if you have the maxed out satchel, filling it with consumables is a pretty good money sink.

Like what kind of consumables because I'm constantly maxed out on basically everything I could find.

Literally my biggest money sink is hair tonics cause I need that wizard beard.

Like what kind of consumables because I'm constantly maxed out on basically everything I could find.

Literally my biggest money sink is hair tonics cause I need that wizard beard.
99 of all the tonics to start with. once you get the east satchel, you have unlimited dead eye. i havent not-used dead eye in the last 10 hours of gameplay, i use it on every single enemy. you can also max out food and stam/hp tonics, you basically become a god as long as you have the cash to fill up your satchel. also buy every outfit in the game, and horses to help with your criminal anonymity.

ive gotten to 5k-6k multiple times and im still broke. always stuff to buy.

Epic and CD keys has this game on sale already the Steam version will probably be full price and might be on sale next Christmas like in 2020.

I have 8.1 and as of last time it still sucks and is unplayable. I figure it is time to upgrade to 10, maybe a full new system

So yeah i bought this as well on GMG sale. Overall, for my sytem, it looks good and runs average at 1080p. My main issue is the mouse controls. I was excited for this coming to PC to be able to play this with the mouse and keyboard and not have the auto aim assist like on consoles. Only problem is, it's friggin hard to aim. I'm chasing around a friggin squirrel for 10 minutes with bow n arrow and can't hit it. This is going to be an issue. Any advice other than going to a controller? Or am i just terrible at this.

The game has decent mouse + keyboard controls, you just need to improve.

That being said, with games like this I personally always prefer gamepad due to the way that movement has weight to it.

SLI under Vulkan is so very nearly fixed. The only issues that remain are:

1. TAA must be enabled or the lighting is way too bright (basically you get a white screen)
  2. There's still some flickering in places but it seems to vary - most of the time it's non-existent
  3. Aforementioned flickering is, however, present in cut scenes

8700k at 4.9ghz and a 1080ti running on 3440x1440, most settings medium/high Get some mad drops. Running DX12 now, whats the word on people using vulkan?

8700k at 4.9ghz and a 1080ti running on 3440x1440, most settings medium/high Get some mad drops. Running DX12 now, whats the word on people using vulkan?
I use DX12 now that the full screen issue was fixed. It runs better for me, I don’t get a FPS drop bug, and TXAA is less blurry.

So yeah i bought this as well on GMG sale. Overall, for my sytem, it looks good and runs average at 1080p. My main issue is the mouse controls. I was excited for this coming to PC to be able to play this with the mouse and keyboard and not have the auto aim assist like on consoles. Only problem is, it's friggin hard to aim. I'm chasing around a friggin squirrel for 10 minutes with bow n arrow and can't hit it. This is going to be an issue. Any advice other than going to a controller? Or am i just terrible at this.

"runs average" ? I'd say varmint hunting is where you'll really feel the difference between say, 60fps and 30fps. Chasing squirrels is tough anyway. Better to attempt to sneak up on anything you want to hunt. You aren't gonna hit one with an arrow if it's already moving.

I'd say the game is working it's charm.

Vulkan still runs better than DX12 on my PC as it did on launch. I honestly can't tell if there is any difference in image quality between the two. PC specs in signature.

"runs average" ? I'd say varmint hunting is where you'll really feel the difference between say, 60fps and 30fps. Chasing squirrels is tough anyway. Better to attempt to sneak up on anything you want to hunt. You aren't gonna hit one with an arrow if it's already moving.

I'd say the game is working it's charm.
Well, average i'd say maybe 30 to 40 FPS

And i have to admit I played and finished on the PS4, so yeah I was all about the aim assist lock on feature. That maybe made the game to easy, but I liked it. Moving to mouse/keyboard definately has it's challenges.

If you have a bunch of spare cash, you can always use it to max out the extras for all of the weapons. I had a bunch of extra $ toward the end of the game and spent almost all of it customizing all of the different guns. That and just going into the general store and buying the maximum number of all of the food items. I never used 95% of them, but it's something to throw your money at. From memory I only used 2 different items (max health or max deadeye) over and over.

The pacing is really slow until you get to the southeastern portions of the map. Especially if you do some of the side stuff like the lost circus animals. I enjoyed the stuff in and around the game's version of New Orleans. The stuff before and after drags, though. I was always a little puzzled why they made Appalachian coal country so close to the bayou, but it at least cut down on the size of the map a little.

Ever since last week's patch, loading straight into SP gives me a solid black screen. I can hear the game playing, but see nothing. GPU usage sits at 0% too.
Only way to make it work is to load into RDO first, then switch to SP from there. Already tried deleting my settings file, it happens even if I leave everything at default.

Ever since last week's patch, loading straight into SP gives me a solid black screen. I can hear the game playing, but see nothing. GPU usage sits at 0% too.
Only way to make it work is to load into RDO first, then switch to SP from there. Already tried deleting my settings file, it happens even if I leave everything at default.
any overlays enabled?

I thought everyone always talked about how amazing Rockstar's PC ports have been...so is RDR2 the exception to this rule?...sounds like it had a lot of performance issues/bugs at release

Rockstar has never had good ports outside of GTAV.

Most of people's issues have been fixed at this point, however.

And both GTAV and this game at least run better than GTAIV. GTAIV while a great game has always ran like dogshit, generally. We never got the first Red Dead Redemption either because Rockstar's code was apparently so horrible that they couldn't be fucked to ever release it on PC. They'd literally have to re-code the thing from the ground up.

Last edited:
Finally I can buy a link on steam to open up the rockstar app to play this!
And pay full price, a month later, without the free edition upgrade, and without all the R* exclusive skins/guns, and the 50 gold bars which make getting into RDO a lot easier.
But yeah... Steam, am I right. Thanks to all the beta testers, am I right. :rolleyes:

Back