Red, Blue & Green?

crawl39

n00b
I have had an Avermedia pci500 tv tuner for the last year and everything was fine. The other day I upgraded my motherboard, vid card and processor and have a strange problem.

When I watch TV on my computer it looks great, however if I record a show to the hard drive it plays back with wide red and blue vertical lines with a thin green line inbetween.
I updated all my drivers for the motherboard, vid card and tuner card. Even tried switching pci slots but same problem occured.

Any suggestions?

Here is what I have:
ECS P4M890T-M2 board
Core 2 Duo 6300
MSI 7300GT pci-e
1gig DDR 3200
Avermedia Ultra Media Center pci500

All drivers are up to date and did a fresh install of windows XP pro with all updated service packs and whatnots

Either the tuner's drivers are the problem or the video card's drivers are a problem or it's the MPEG2 codec you are using that is the problem.

For the drivers you'll want to go back to the last release and see if that fixes the problem.

CrimandEvil;

I have tried all the drivers available from avermedia and different drivers from Nvidia and MSI . Still no luck. Is it possible it could have a something to do with Nero codecs. I dont know what codec it uses to play back an MPEG2 video, but I do have Nero 6 loaded on the computer.

old parts as follows:

Abit KM-80 board
AMD64 3700 socket 754
Asus 6800GT 128mb
Avermedia pci 500 tuner
same hard drives
1 gig DDR 3200
Win XP-Pro SP2

Only thing that changed was motherboard, vid card and pocessor.

have you tried palying the recorded file back on another PC? that is the easiest way of telling if the problem is your tuner or the other stuff. burn it or copy it over a network if you have one and play it back on a different PC. If the lines go witht he file, your tuner is the source. if they don't, take a look at your video card or codecs.

Yes i played the files on another computer and they still had the problem. Funny thing thou when i record tv using Nero 6 the files come out just fine. I am starting to think I need a new turner card, but why would the files come out fine with nero and not the software that came with the card. I know the card is old but they dont have any other drivers.

Because the software that comes with the card is crap, it's a universal constant.

Problem is what software could I use that still works with the remote that came with the card?

Well the tech support people at avermedia pretty much suck! I have a feeling that if by next week I cant get it to work I am going to buy a hauppauge 150. From what I have read it is pretty good and works with just about any program.
Thanks for the help though and if anybody can think of anything please reply.
I just dont get it the tuner card itself works but the software just has a conflict with something else and I am still using all the same programs from before.
Oh Well!

have you tried downloading a demo of sagetv? it would be a better investment of your money than a pvr150. if you must buy a new tuner, look at the nvidia or ATI cards first.

WIll an Nvidia vid card get along with an ATI tuner card.
I have the MSI 7300gt pci-e 256.

Allright I have narrowed it down to a software problem. The damn thing works just fine in playback with nero 6 and windvr. There is nothing wrong with the card it is just the software. Now my only problem is none of the decent pvr software supports the Avermedia Ultra TV pci500. Some do but most dont and if they do they dont support the remote, which I need because it is way to far to reach all the way across the desk to change the channel !!!!!
Any Ideas.

Back