Recurring Issue - MEB cases

OniExpress

Limp Gawd
I say recurring because I'm constantly finding evidence of people asking about them, but never finding solutions or solutions that appear to still exist. It's because of that later bit; the fact that most of my searches turn up years-old dead links; that I'm making a new thread for the issue.

Long story short, I'll have my hands on a TYAN S8812 as well as two 6174s in a couple months from now (without going into too much: this was both lucky and expensive). Barring the issue with two of the board's ram slots (while I can't imagine how sloppy/deceitful things were at Tyan for this I've got it for a good deal and really won't be bothered for the loss) the largest issue is trying to find something it can fit inside.

While I'm not opposed to making something from scratch (or having something manufactured for me), this is already going to be an expensive project piece for me and I'd like to avoid splashing out the price of a beater car on a case before it's even operational.

Is there anything reasonably priced out there that can hold a MEB board or be made to hold one without the use of a metalshop?

HPTX is pretty close to MEB, at least closer then any other major form factor that was available before it. MEB is about 1.2" wider, so you'd need to check the HPTX compatible cases to see if they have room with the width. That's probably your best best, short of buying barebones boxes.

I have the Xigmatek Elysium case... it fits MEB about 5 of the HPTX mount holes line up (If I remember correctly...
However I wanted more points and less flex on my $830 board so I made an adapter plate.

Harbringer in my sig is the system.
IMG_0423.jpg

IMG_0485.jpg

Just in case you are considering the Enermax. The Enermax Fulmo GT is short a few standoffs. I got it to work with mods. The biggest issue theough for the Fulmo GT/MEB board is where the extra length is. It has width past the io panel. I had to remove the top fan. The board went all of the way up next to the top of the case, so I cut the top out to give me more room to install. Then, I had to attach an angle to raise the floor to attach standoffs I think that might have been easier to make the adapter plate in hindsight. One more note about this case. It has controls for fans built in, but unfortunately, they were mounted what would be under the MEB...go figure.

Just in case you are considering the Enermax. The Enermax Fulmo GT is short a few standoffs. I got it to work with mods. The biggest issue theough for the Fulmo GT/MEB board is where the extra length is. It has width past the io panel. I had to remove the top fan. The board went all of the way up next to the top of the case, so I cut the top out to give me more room to install. Then, I had to attach an angle to raise the floor to attach standoffs I think that might have been easier to make the adapter plate in hindsight. One more note about this case. It has controls for fans built in, but unfortunately, they were mounted what would be under the MEB...go figure.

Its the same case as the Elysium ...its a rebrand... rosewill also rebrands it

That was my issue with it...too few standoffs thats why I made the adapter so I could have 8-10 connections between plate and case and all off the mobo holes connected....

Cheap option: RPC-470 and tap mounts where needed. can even front mount PSU easily since if you take out the drive cage stuff it is just one big box.

Back