Recovery Console Can't Detect Hard Drive?

GeForceX

Supreme [H]ardness
My friend's computer unfortunately crashed and it came up with a blue screen (like one nanoseconds before it shuts off black). It then also wouldn't boot up anymore because that blue screen will frequently pop up. I thought of the SFC /Scannow to make sure the base files are fixed. But it seems that I can't use that because it says it can't find any hard drives to work on. His computer has a SATA drive and I have little experience with SATA drives. However, previously when booted up, his SATA drive would be detected and it can run just fine.

Also I should note that I take full responsibility of that PC because I built it for him and installed the OS with the *PROPER* procedures. During that time he had reported to me that sometimes things will pop up with an error throughout the whole month (and this recent month, it finally took a hard crash). Reported errors: Meda of Honor Pacific Assault won't run, sometimes Enemy Territory would crash within 45 seconds of running the game. All this seems very "minor" and game/app-related. Could this be a hardware issue?

Thanks for any information or assistance. :)

-J.

Sure sounds like it. The manufacturer of the drive make a bootable floppy diagnostic disk? Does the bios show the HDD exists?

what motherboard is it, most sata drives need the drivers to be loaded so win setup can see it, press f6 when setup starts to load, then go into the recovery thingie

Ahhh, I forgot to do the F6 thing. :-x Yeah, I'll try that.

Arkaine23: Sure sounds like it.

Are you speaking of the hardware issues? I'm not sure but this may be a very minor case of a RAM defect... but very slight. Because lots of these errors occur when RUNNING an app, or something.

-J.

You always will need the floppy disk with the driver unless your booting into Windows completely. The Recovery Console doesn't boot most of the drivers.

Back