Recovering raid help and recomendations.

bigstusexy

2[H]4U
I had an ASRock X58 Delux3 According to the manual the southbridge was the Intel ICH10R

I had a raid 5 with three drives done by the Intel chip and software on this board. I'm looking for a solution to import and recover the array. Basically if there is another mother board or add-in card with a compatible chip. I'd like to go with another 1366 board but if not that's fine.

I asked ASRock and all they would say is they no longer have the board.

I could probably look this up but I am asking for the help of the [H] as well.

After this I'm just going to buy a disk station.

The first question is what went wrong with your array? Did the board just fail and the array is fine? Did one or more drives fail? Before you do ANYTHING, do you have a backup of the array?

if only one drive was lost, it should be recoverable via software methods. i've used DiskInternals or DIYDataRecovery in past

Sorry, board died. Array is fine.

I do not have a backup of the array. The most important things on it yeah but not everything. I want to import it into another controller and get the rest.

I just had the same thing happen to me with my rocketraid 4320 controller. Controller went bad and now I have 5 drives that i need to recover. Making a thread about it myself. Following yours to see what luck you have.

I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be hard to import the raid into another compatible controller. I just don't know which ones those are and actually don't really have the time to research it right now. I was hoping to get a a quick answer like "All Intel firmware raid family are compatible which each successive version try xyz card"

Still hoping for that :D

I just talked to Intel. According to my rep all I need to do is set the ports to raid and then install the drives. The system should automatically recognize the configuration. This is because the array was only used for data storage not booting, bootable arrays are not movable. Second that I'm going with an Intel storage array again, he stated that it should work with newer chips of the same type.

I don't know if this is falling outside the scope of this forum too much, but I now have top options. I can buy a ~170 intel atom board/cpu with an ICH10r controller, all it needs is ram and power. both of which I have spare. I'd have no use for the system, maybe a media player (not with the array)

or

I could look for a Decent board and new processor and just update my system. Any recommendations? I'm going to go searching soon but does anyone know the newer popular platform? Like this one was the x58 the south bridge was ich10r. I hadn't looked at reviews as it was going to be about 2 years before I started planning my next system.

Can you locate the same motherboard that you had used?

I like to use raid controllers on cards so if they die I can replace them easier and less eggs in one basket.

Unfortunately no, it's really old and for the 2nd generation core series processors. it's an ASrock x58 Delux3

However I did find an Intel Atom board with the same south bridge (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157417). I'm going to forget using in computer storage all together. I'm going to buy a Diskstation and a drives in a bit after I get this data back.

I would go Amazon but 2 to 5 weeks before shipping... no thanks.

It isn't hardware raid.

It's intel fakeraid.

Any intel based motherboard with raid support will work, and don't all them have raid support these days?

Pretty much. I never really looked into it and thought there was actual minimal hardware support in the chip. That is not the case. So looks like I'm going to get a boost. Putting in my order now. Oops! I will gotta use the referral link.

I should probably sell my 930...

It isn't hardware raid.

It's intel fakeraid.

Any intel based motherboard with raid support will work, and don't all them have raid support these days?

I don't think all onboard intel ICH RAID chips are backwards compatible. There are drivers associated with the different on board raid controllers. If they're both ICH10R however I think it could work provided you get the ordering right. Could be wrong....

Intel says as long as the array wasn't bootable it will be okay. I've got new parts on the way so I should be able to let you know by the end of next week if I don't get too busy. Now I need to worry about porting my win7 to a new controller.

Didn't have to do jack more than they said. I went to a Z87 chipset.
Changed the SATA ports to Raid. Got windows working (Installed the Intal Rapid storage drivers and promptly blue screened my install) then I decided to connect the drives. Before I even got back into windows: I saw the Raid bios screen (3 member drive, Green) I get into windows and there is my volume all nice and happy.

What's not happy is that my video card seems to have been zapped >.< RMA hopefully.

Back