• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Recovering RAID-5 after disk failure

Johnboy12358

Weaksauce
Joined
May 12, 2006
Messages
78
Hey, This may be a total newb question, but I wanted to throw it out there. I did look for this answer and I wasnt able to find anything specifically answering this question (besides paying someone to do it)

Lets say that I build a 5 disk raid 5 array out of, lets say, 320GB Perp Recording Seagate drives. To do this, I would make a NAS using FreeNAS (www.freenas.org for info). It is a FreeBSD system, and it would be running software raid. I write stuff to it, blah blah blah, and for some reason down the line, one fails. How do I go about recovering the information and rebuilding my array (either with a new drive, or limping home with only 4 temporarilly)

Do I have to have the array rebuilt professionally, or would I just need to run some kind of recovery utility thats in the software raid suite? Thanks in advance

(by the way, slap me if this is obvious and link me, i'll read and shut up if thats the case)
 
Raid 5 devices should auto-rebuild if you slap another disk in there. However, FreeNAS looks pretty hairy - take a look at the HTML documentation page and tell me that's a final product. Quite a lot of it is poorly translated into English, it's nowhere near complete, etc.

Nothing I can find on the FreeNAS website mentions rebuilding arrays. But since it's such standard functionality I imagine it works. Since it's *BSD underneath, you might ask in the "Alternative OS" forum here and see what they know about rebuilding software raid.

 
Yeah its definately not a final build product. The main thing that I like about it is the footprint... >17MB is nice for a full system. I've got it installed and running on a server I scrounged from old parts and it seems to be working ok thus far. I'd like to think that it might gain some attention as a good project and maybe have some more mad linux/bsd coders on it in time to polish it out.

Thanks for the pointer, I'll run over to the Alternative OS forum and ask again, but from what you see, if one failed, it would automatically rebuild?
 
Just a warning, while browseing forums i've read that the freebas raid 5 implementation is buggy at best and should be avoided.
 
This is also something I know about, but i am planning on doing some kind of software raid 5, whether it is FreeNAS or otherwise. Thanks for the pointer though.
 
Back
Top