Recovering Data off a RedHat ES 3 drive

FlatLine84

[H]ard|Gawd
I've run into an issue.... I need to gather the data off of a RedHat ES 3 drive. The motherboard in the system died, but the drive is still good. I took another computer that has a fresh install of ES3 and tried to boot that machine with the first drive as slave. But it gives me problems with /var and /etc not allowing permission.

The computer was a PDC for a place, and I guess I could take and have the computer up and running and try to connect as the users to pull the information off, but I was hoping for somthing a little less cumbersome.

Any ideas?

You could connect that drive to another machine that has working install an mount it. You then could copy over the data.

I've tried that, it seems to try and change file permissions to the drive, and just locks the machine up while booting.

Need more information. Specifically, need to know filesystem being used on the drive to be recovered and whether or not it was part of any arrays.

It wasn't part of an array, and I believe it's Ext3. I can give any info needed....

FlatLine84 said:
I've tried that, it seems to try and change file permissions to the drive, and just locks the machine up while booting.
Are you mounting on bootup via the fstab?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fstab

The /etc/fstab file contains your mount points. If you have, for example, three partitions hda1,hda2, and hda3, your fstab is what says "hda3 = /, hda1 = /boot", and hda2 = swap".

With that being said, if you haven't modified this file, then the answer to my question is probably no.

In theory, you should be able take a working machine, add the drive as a slave, boot the working OS and mount the HD from the dead machine to the file system. It shouldn't try to access the drive unless you manually mount it with a command like "mount /dev/hdb3 /temp" or such.

MorfiusX said:

The /etc/fstab file contains your mount points. If you have, for example, three partitions hda1,hda2, and hda3, your fstab is what says "hda3 = /, hda1 = /boot", and hda2 = swap".

With that being said, if you haven't modified this file, then the answer to my question is probably no.

In theory, you should be able take a working machine, add the drive as a slave, boot the working OS and mount the HD from the dead machine to the file system. It shouldn't try to access the drive unless you manually mount it with a command like "mount /dev/hdb3 /temp" or such.

Yeah, I definately haven't done that. But I can't get the known working computer to boot when the drive is put in as slave. But, I found a windows program I can use now.... Thank you!

MorfiusX said:

Let us not forget drive labels, the bane of my existance. RH loves them, and it wouldn't surprise me if he's running into a problem with them here.

With labels, it's possible to put a drive as a slave and have an otherwise working system try to pull data off of it like it was a master. Personally, I feel labels are idiotic, but I'm in the minority.

There may be some grub options to pass to turn labels off for the slave drive, but otherwise you may be forced to monkey with fstab to reference the correct mount points.

Back