Recovering data from my old hard drive

Justgetmein

Limp Gawd
Ok so after many hours I have my new rig and want to transfer my data from my old hd to my new one, so i tried to enter my documents but acess deniad so i remember oh yeah i was a lil paranoid bastard and didn't want anyone to look at my files. So i booted the old hd but it wouldn't boot.
Is there any way to change the settings on my old hardrive to remove the password or protection or do i need to rebuild my old system just to do it?

If you didn't encrypt you data, you just need to take ownership of the directory to allow yourself access from the new install.

I'd like to start a vote to make a topic such as this a sticky. It's asked several times a day, and no one ever uses the search feature to find the answer. Instead of someone like SJConsultant having to type out all the steps each and every time, we could just link to it.

i didn't encrypt it, that's what i need to take ownership of the directory.
...well gonna do a search didn't realize someone had the same problem

Apparently it's EXTREMELY common. I've never had a problem myself, because my user name and password is always the same....but it seems like many people change them from build to build.

no no no, it's not the password is that I installed windows on my new HD and put the old hd in the same case, the thing is it doesn't boot and i cannot acces my data cause access is denied, i don't wanna rebuild my old case it such a drag.

Justgetmein said:
no no no, it's not the password is that I installed windows on my new HD and put the old hd in the same case, the thing is it doesn't boot and i cannot acces my data cause access is denied, i don't wanna rebuild my old case it such a drag.
I've done that many times, and never had a problem accessing my data. As nessus said, you just need to take ownership of the files and directories.

Ok i have been searching and i don't know how to take ownership of my own files.
Can you help me out please?

I think in Windows Media Center you have to open up say "My Computer" , click on Tools, Folder Options, File Types, Uncheck "Use Simple File Sharing" then hit apply. Then just right click the folder you want to take ownership of hit security the click
Add/Advanced/Find Now then select your account from the list, hit okay then click on full control, hit apply

I think i may be missing a step somewhere but im sure someone else will post if i did

XP Pro may already have the security option enabled. Mine didnt so i had to disable simple file sharing, and I think in XP home you just have to boot into safe mode.

Right click the root of the directory you wish to get too...select properties
Click the "Security" tab
Click the "Advanced" button...for Special Permissions
Adjust the accounts and rights...add your account if necessary from local or domain accounts
Put checkmark in "Replace permission entries on all child objects..."
Apply, OK, OK, OK

F1xxer said:
Sure can. The formula Google + "how to take ownership in windows xp" + clicking the "I'm feeling Lucky" button =
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

:p
Google wasn't even necessary. It's been asking a billion times on here, and yet no one ever does a simple search. You don't even need to know the phrase take ownership....a simple search of "Access Denied" would bring up all the answers. Hopefully this topic is stickied soon, so it can be read, instead of having the same question asked over and over.

Well, without all these menial questions, all we'd have in this forum is a bunch of condescending arrogant assholes arguing about who has the most impressive RL job. So inbetween all the pointless arguing, these questions are a welcome relief. lol :p

W00t thanks a bunch now i have access to my music and files (well guess 75gb is gonna take a while *sigh*)

I <3 you guys

I've said this often since it bears repeating.....this forum is dynamic with members coming and going all of the time so questions get repeated.....often. The time spent telling someone to go search could be better spent by just answering the question and move on.

That's why I was suggesting a sticky, and to not have them hidden under "Read before posting", but have them displayed like the other stickies.

Back