• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Recovering data after north ghost disk to disk?

dave343

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Oct 17, 2000
Messages
1,875
If I did a disk to disk copy with norton ghost can I recover data from past formats on the new drive?
 
Yikes,
You may have some luck by reading the parts of the disk that weren't overwritten by the ghost restore.

But I am pretty sure that the ghosting does a sector copy, so that would overwrite pretty much everything.

A pay data recovery service may have luck with it though.
 
I bought a new 80gb sata drive and I did a ghost disk to disk copy from my old 120gb, so I think what I really wanted to know was if because I did a disk to disk copy would I be able to recover past formats from the 120gb on the new 80gb. sry if Its confusing lol.
 
You might find some traces of old data on the drive, but by and large the data would be quite corrupted. If you did a zero fill at any point you'll get zilch.
 
But I am pretty sure that the ghosting does a sector copy, so that would overwrite pretty much everything.

Ghost doesn't do sector by sector unless you tell it, otherwise you would have very large image files.
 
So even though I did the disk to disk copy with ghost, old formats do not get copied over? I guess im asking really if the new 80gig would be 100% exact same as the old 120.
 
Originally posted by dave343
would I be able to recover past formats from the 120gb on the new 80gb. sry if Its confusing lol.

no there would be no residual bit information
that is, the bits would have been written to only once, and they would all be the same strength magnetic polarity, either positive or negative, a forensic recovery would just recover exactly what was cloned over and nothing more, any area that didnt have a partition\master file table entry Ghost would have skipped and written nothing
 
Back
Top