Recovering a HDD?

jonneymendoza

Supreme [H]ardness
Hi, One of my hdd's got messed up when i think i accidently deleted the partition when i was reinstalling windows 8 and selected the wrong hdd. what app can i use to recover the data off of it?

On windows it now keeps telling me i need to reformat it :(

any advice?

There are lots of free data recovery software out there, but I'm not sure what the best is. To be clear, you only deleted the partition, correct? In that case, it should be relatively simple to recover it.

In the past I've used Easeus Data Recovery with mixed results, some things being able to recover and others not.

Yea the partition seems to have gone. i did not reformat it as if i did it would appear on windows as a fresh hdd.

However, in windows it keeps saying i "have to format it"

That's because there's no partition. What you need to do is use a data recovery software to recover the original partition.

Without a partition, Windows (and any OS) does not know how to read the data on the hard drive. That's why it asks you to reformat, because that creates a new partition.

I use Restorer2000. It's $30, $50, or $70, depending on which version you feel like purchasing. I'm sure there's some free alternatives out there. I paid like $30 over half a decade ago and still use it. $30 got the Pro version, but apparently the Pro is now $50.

If you only deleted the partition you can restore it with Fixmbr/Fixboot on windows XP or
Bootrec.exe /fixmbr
Bootrec.exe /fixboot
on vista,7, 8.

Also you can use
Testdisk

If you only deleted the partition you can restore it with Fixmbr/Fixboot on windows XP or
Bootrec.exe /fixmbr
Bootrec.exe /fixboot
on vista,7, 8.

Also you can use
Testdisk

i tried testdisk and it could nto find any deleted partitions but it gave me the option to do a advance deep search so i am trying that now

Hi. i tried getdataback andit doesnts eem to scan r do anything?

i chose teh default settings from the first screen and then on step 1 i chose my hdd thats damaged.

in step 2 nothing happens. it doesnt scan or do anything and on step 3 it doesnt display any of my files.

see screenshots below:

step2yi.png

step3jd.png

I have also tried TestDisk and what happens in TestDisk is that when itry to fix and rebuild the mft, it says this:

MFT and MFT mirror are bad. Failed to repair them.

Here is the status of that hdd under Testdrive:

testdrive.png

I also tried this app and got no results when i tried to recover the files. i keep getting this error:

anotherapp.png

Last but not least, i tried Recuva and that simply sais that that it is unable to read the MFT?

Any suggestions? i have tried various apps already and none of them seem to work

Is it possible you did a complete reformat instead of just deleting the partition?

If i did a complete reformat then the drive would be acceseble in explorer as a empty fresh drive but it is not and says i have to reformat it

I have used R-studio ntfs before with good results. It's around 40 bucks. You can use a free trial - but you have to pay to recover larger files than 5kb or something of that sort.

Back