Recovering a hard drive

Keyser008

n00b
Joined
Feb 1, 2013
Messages
3
I will be trying to recover two hard drives from two separate computers that seem to be failing. The computers are so old that it would make more sense to move the data to a new computer.

I will be trying to do this in the next week or so.

One of the problems I can foresee is that the hdd's are installed with windows xp and contain programs that I believe are proprietary to that OS. I would like to run windows 7 as that is what I have on my computer, and what I would be putting on the new computer. If that is not possible windows xp is fine.

I am not sure where to start. I have looked up cloning and data recovery for hard drives, but it doesn't seem to be what I am looking for, or maybe I am just not seeing it.
I have tried hot swapping hard drives from one machine to another in the past just for fun and found that the drivers caused issues. I would reinstall windows while leaving the files and programs and found that it would work that way, however the two computers in question do not post, but they do spin without any clicking sounds.

I think I will start by using a usb docking station and simply try to copy an image or raw files onto my computer.

If you have any suggestions, input or software recommendations that would be great.
 
Back
Top