Recover RAID'd files?

Mr34727

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey guys, have done a bunch of searching and haven't yet been able to figure this one out.

I have a bunch of old desktops sitting here (got them in a big lot), and one in particular has an old AMD dual core AM2+ chip and 3 HDs (2x500gb and 1x750gb). Upon first boot, I notice that the PC has RAID enabled via the mobo, however all drives are set to single disk. The CMOS/date was intact when I booted up, so I am assuming this is how the machine was run. Unfortunately, it doesn't boot past the "Updating DMI...." line.

I'm trying to find the best way to check the contents of the drives, and have somewhat of an assumption that the drives are configured in some sort of RAID. I ordered a new external USB bay so I can hook them to a different computer, but wondering if I'll actually be able to see the data or if there is a better way to do this. Any RAID gurus out there have ideas?

I have recovered data previously off a RAID using R-Studio so it is technically possible (virtual RAID - other products can do this) but it depends on the specific configuration.

If the 2 500GB drives were in RAID1 using them as single drives may just work. If they were in RAID0 you may need paid software to recover.

The 750GB is almost certainly a single disk not involved in the raid.

Copy all- my usb drive adapter comes on Wednesday so I'll check it out. Had the same thoughts on the 750 and I'll try that one first as a standalone. Trying one of the 500gb alone in the desktop returns a "ntldr not found" error right past the DMI line I mentioned. Only 1 drive will do this- attempting either of the others as a stand alone still sticks at DMI update line

IIRC Lots of old OEM builds had NVraid enabled by default even if none of the drives were in RAID.

I think that was only for Intel builds with NV chipests but it's been a while so may be similar to your situation even tho AMD.

^ this, they are all likely individual disks if the raid manager is reporting them as individual drives.
Raid in this case is just the mode denotation like ahci, legacy, or uefi.

Ah ok, did not know that. Strangely, I can't get this machine to boot from a linux live USB drive or that would have been my first step. Going to have to scrounge together a working CD burner to get an actual disk made (gasp!). But, sounds like I'll be able to just view, copy, and wipe- so pretty straight forward

Hey guys- really appreciate the help. Got the HD dock in the mail yesterday, plugged in the individual drives and could read the files. Seems like the hanging in post was due to unhealthy drives.

Back