Recover Raid Array?

hajalie24

[H]ard|Gawd
I loaded bios defaults on my motherboard and forgot about raid and booted into windows. When I realized the problem I went back into the bios and changed the mode back to raid, however now it's asking me to create a new drive in windows. Anyway to recover my old state?

Depends on the board and the BIOS software raid sophistication. Most likely you are SOL.

I've never understood why the RAID would be toast in a situation like this. No data on the drives has been changed, what would prevent it form being remounted as the RAID array again?

Because consumer raid cards, especially the crap included with consumer boards, always attempt to reinitialize the array, messing up the drives when you switch between JOBD to RAID.

Until there is a universal RAID format and RAID cards are interchangeable, consumer cards are a bad idea.

It seems weird that even cheap consumer RAID cards would be worse than free software RAID. Given how easy it is to re-mount a dissembled MD RAID array even in a different computer.

Back